160 or 180 Thermostats, Who uses what and why?

Hey all, I replaced my 160 t/stat with a 180, on my 47 Chrysler 6 cylinder.

I did this thinking this would be a better bet, but am not 100% convinced.

Yes the 180 t/stat would allow a quicker engine warm-up, and would maintain a

better engine temp on super cold days.

But I drive my car in snow free weather, in temps usually 40s and above.

My concern is my engine will run too hot, on those warmer days, especially on

faster highway speeds.

So what is consensus, what does the majority run for t/stats in their Mopar Flathead 6s.......Fred

Will not make your engine run hot provided your cooling system is in good shape. It will make your engine run better, more efficient, get better mileage.

The main reason they made 160 stats was because of the low boiling point, alcohol based antifreeze they used to use. I don't think it has even been available since the sixties.

Here is some discussion of the problem of keeping a motor like yours cool under much more extreme conditions. Such as driving a 3 ton limousine, through Death Valley, towing a trailer. I kid you not.

1951 DeSoto Suburban cars - long term report / car review with trailer towing

He credits a hot thermostat, 180 degrees, as one of the keys to best performance, economy and long life.

Will not make your engine run hot provided your cooling system is in good shape. It will make your engine run better, more efficient, get better mileage.

The main reason they made 160 stats was because of the low boiling point, alcohol based antifreeze they used to use. I don't think it has even been available since the sixties.

Here is some discussion of the problem of keeping a motor like yours cool under much more extreme conditions. Such as driving a 3 ton limousine, through Death Valley, towing a trailer. I kid you not.

1951 DeSoto Suburban cars - long term report / car review with trailer towing

He credits a hot thermostat, 180 degrees, as one of the keys to best performance, economy and long life.

In my case, or in my reasoning, I had been using a 160 t/stat, for the following reasons.

In summer(when I use my car the most), my engine will run at 165-170 on the highway, on hot days add 10 degrees, on super hot days, on the highway, pulling hard in traffic, it can rise to 185-190.

If I were running a 180 t/stat, I would be in the 200 range on real hot days driving down the highway.

I think temps over 190 for any sustained driving is too hot for these engines, at least that has been my belief, I certainly may be wrong in this assumption.

My cooling system is clean, water dist tube, water jackets rad, etc, but my engine is not rebuilt, and may not take the heat as well as a rebuilt engine.....