65 Riviera Grill Removal

Guest OC*Rivi

Guest OC*Rivi

Hey guys, new member of the ROA here, however I haven't received my welcome packet yet. I am stripping my 65 to take it to get painted this weekend, but I can't figure out how to remove the grill? I've removed the 3 nuts along the top, and there were none on the bottom. It's "loose" but I can't pull it forward because of the bolts going through the bottom and I can't pull it up because the fender is sitting right on top of each end. Any tips? :confused:

Also, are the door panels just held on by clips and you just pry it off? Or are they screwed on? Sorry, this is my first experience working with buicks. I've already removed the rear bumper and most of the trim. I don't want to mess anything up. Thanks!

Guest OC*Rivi
I masked around my grill. It looked like the fenders needed to come off to remove the grill. So I grabbed some tape and paper.

I am either going to rechrome it or replace it will a billet grill, so it will have to come off.:(

Hey, welcome.

I scratched my head on the same deal. I removed the bolts that hold the metal bumper filler on and the seven nuts on the bottom of the grill and wiggled it out. I didn't have my bumper off so if you do it should be easier. I think there are two bolts on each side parallel with the bumper on the ends and two bolts on each side of the radiator between it and the headlights. With your bumper off that piece should come out. The threaded part of the bolts stay in the grill when you remove the nuts on the bottom, at least mine did. There might be a different or easier way but thats how I did it.

Joey #12753

Guest OC*Rivi

Thanks for the tips. I will remove the bumper and filler first then. I just couldn't do it lastnight because I didn't have an extension long enough to reach the top bolts of the clamshells, to remove them to access the bolt on each side of the bumper.