Any Opinion on this?

Guest deerhuntingal

Guest deerhuntingal

We have a stock 283 1964 Chevelle with the 2 speed Powerglide.

Hubby is pestering me about ordering a 383 (Summit engine) and putting it in but not changing anything else in the car. It does not have Posi or any other modification. All stock from the factory. 10 bolt rearend,

Any opinions? An engine builder here said it is possible if you go with a low HP

build. Also, any folks bought a block/motor from Summit and had any issues?

Thanks!

Edited by deerhuntingal (see edit history)

Would it not be just as cost effective to rebuild the 283 and if it's not already a powerpack engine, put 4-bbl and duals on it?

I just don't believe in the "crate engine is the solution to all old car reliability issues" theory. A 283 is a good engine and infinitely more interesting than any 350 derivative ever made.

Plus it's gotten discouraging and tiresome to see a Chevy with a later engine stuffed in it. If the 283 can be salvaged, I say keep it and forget the 383 stroker.

Guest deerhuntingal

Yes, we thought about that but were not sure if we want to tear into it and find it is already 60 over. It runs a little hot now so even if it is 30 over now, it may not be

the best thing to go through it. I'm not savy on this stuff myself but we were thinking a turnkey motor would be the easiest to get the sound/HP he wants.

Friend of ours said we could change out the cam and a few other things to get the desired effect so we are still researching it.

It does have the 4 bbl Quadrajet but no other big up-grades. Stock everything as far as we know.

I'm all for keeping it as well so we will see what happens!

Any ideas on cam #'s and other upgrades a person can do with a stock motor that will give it the rough idle but not be a huge expense?