1990 Trofeo' engine shutting off at 45mph

starfireelvis

OK, had this problem for a couple weeks now. My '90 Toronado Trofeo', 3800 engine, 210K miles, runs like a champ--EXCEPT for this unusual thing that has happened now twice (actually, three times) in the past couple of weeks.

The first time this manifested itself, I was in my driveway at home, and after driving the car throughout the day, started it up, and after about 10 seconds, just shut down, and although it would crank, it would not kick over.

The next several days, I tried starting the car, and it started right back up; I shut it down about six times in a row, and it started every time.

Went to take it to the gas station down the street a couple weeks ago, and after warming it up, stalled at about 45mph; luckily I had presence of mind to whip into an empty parking lot, and had the car towed.

My mechanic, who had about a month previously replaced at ignition control module, said that he found a bad ground, and that seemed to have corrected the problem.

Drove it for about a week, and then it happened again, later in the day; I had been going down the road approximately 45mph, and it killed. It did crank but not start a couple of times, then it wouldn't crank at all (I have that damn chip in the key, if that is any factor).

After about 20-30 minutes, the car started, and I made it home, then drove it down to the garage (20 miles away) without incident.

Is this a issue having to do with heat/electrical, or is it a fuel issue (pump no good anymore, or shutting down)?

Any suggestions are welcomed.

Thanks,

Mike

Sounds like a crank sensor. A quick way to check the crank sensor is to take a long screw driver, put the blade of the screwdriver on the metal bracket of the crank sensor. Lightly tap the end of the screwdriver with the engine at idle. If the engine dies you know the sensor is defective. You can also tap on the MAF (mass air flow) sensor to see if it is "shock sensitive". Use caution when touching the screwdriver to the sensor. You don't want it to slip off and get tangled with the moving belt! Both of these parts can be defective and not set a code. The trouble with these early computer controlled cars is that there are many causes to one symptom. Check out some of the Buick Reatta posts. Good luck.