I have items related to 1929 Phaeton

Guest JohnRawlins

Guest JohnRawlins

Hello, about ten years ago I sold a 1929 dual cowl Phaeton to a gentleman in Texas. It's the car mentioned in this thread: http://forums.aaca.org/f132/look-what-i-found-texas-166486.html

Last week while going through my father's files I found some items related to this car.

The car was purchased by my uncle in the 1950's. I found a credit card sized plate with the car number as seen in the attached picture. I presume it came from that car and was removed at some point. Additionally, the file contains correspondence between my uncle and a parts supplier, Miller Flying Service, Montclair, NJ. The correspondence is also dated from the 1950's. I know collectors are keen on having complete cars and also information on the history. That's why I'm posting this message.

Evidently the gentleman in Texas has since sold the car to someone in Spain. If someone is interested in these items or can put me in touch with the current owner I can make them available.

Best regards,

John

post-73641-143138450189_thumb.jpg

Guest JohnRawlins

Hi Charlie,

If I'm unable to identify the current owner of the car I'll be glad to talk to you about the items I have.

Beside the badge/plate in the photo I provided I have about a dozen pieces of correspondence between my uncle and a Mr. A K. Miller of Miller Flying Service. These are dated between 1956 and 1959. They discuss the availability and prices of parts for the 1929 Dual Cowl Phaeton. It seems my uncle bought a number of parts from him. Finally, there are a few receipts for work on the car also dated in the late 50's. There is one for sand blasting and another for painting.

I may have some Stutz parts as well. Last week a located a stash of very old car parts among my father's things. They appeared to me to date to the 20's. There were very large headlamps, several oil/kerosene side lamps, a few wheels, brackets and other things.

My father had several cars from that period so I don't know which cars they belong to. In addition to the Stutz he had two Willys-Knight's from the 20's, a 1925 Chrysler, two 1914 Buicks and a 1929 or 1930 Ford. The parts could be from any of them. At some point I'll have to recruit someone to help me figure out what I've got. That task will have to wait though. The parts are in Texas and I'm in Oregon.

Best regards,

John

Guest JohnRawlins

FYI: Here are some samples of the documents/correspondence I have between my uncle and Mr. AK Miller. These documents are dated in 1956-1958.

If I'm unable to identify the current owner of the car I'll make them available to other interested parties as well as the original plate/badge that was in the file.

Best regards,

John

post-73641-143138453544_thumb.jpg

post-73641-143138453546_thumb.jpg

post-73641-143138453547_thumb.jpg

Guest 29stutz

John,

Thanks for the reply. My car came with some A K Miller correspondence also, he was a very interesting individual and a Stutz legend collector.

I remember reading about your dual cowl phaeton some time back. I don't believe the ID plate is for the dual cowl, the number isn't right for that, I think it is for a four door speedster?

If you need help identifing the parts you have, I my be of some help. I also have a Ford Model A Pick-up and I of course know the 1929 Stutz well, as I had to do a total restoration of it, six years worth.

Feel free to contact me anytime.

Thanks again, Charlie

• 2 weeks later...

Hello, I am looking for parts for 28boattail project would be interested to see if you may have any parts related to my car. This was my dads car in 1940 and I found it in 2001 and have been working on it since. Need sidemounts for spare tires and windshield wiper motor amongst a few things missing. If you take pics of parts i would be very appreciative. thanks lma2011@hotmail.com

Guest JohnRawlins

Hi, the parts are in Texas and I'm in Oregon. At this time I don't have any trips to Texas scheduled. I will more than likely visit sometime later this year. That would be the soonest I'd be able to take pictures. I would be happy to do so at that time though. Did any of the Stutz's have kerosene side lamps? There were definitely a couple of those among the parts. If they weren't used on the Stutz's then my parts are probably from one of my father's other cars. My best guess would be one of his two Willys Knights but I don't know. It's a puzzle though. I sold most of the cars and I don't recall any of them missing the headlights. Nevertheless I've found a pair of very large headlights in addition to the other parts.

Regards,

John

Guest JohnRawlins

Thanks for the reply Charlie. When I get back to Dallas next I'll try to figure out what I've got. I may take you up on the offer for help at that point.

Thanks again,

John

Dear John,

I am member of Stutz Club# 0775 and own a 1930 Stutz Series M, 4 Passenger Speedster in India. Could you please provide with a list of parts that you have or that you can source for me, along with a brief description and pictures so I proceed with my purchase. The parts I am looking for include but not limited to Headlights, Cowl lights, Interior and Exterior Handles, 6 Hubcaps, Stutz logo badge bar, Crank hole cover, dual cowl windshield including complete operating and locking mechanism.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Warm regards,

Diljeet Titus

dtitus@titus-india.com

• 1 year later...

John:

You are right in saying that the car is in Spain. As I understand it, it is being restored. I contacted the president of what I believe is Spain's most important classic car club and he offered to put me in touch with the owners.

Do you still have the items related to that car?

Thanks,

Victor