!920-30 truck wheels

Guest Gene H

I have found in my dry barn on a wooden floor the front axil, leaf springs and wooden spoke wheels with tires in good shape and hub cap from what I believe is a 1920s to 1930 Studebaker truck. They are in really good condition and I would like to have someone who is restoring a vehicle get them. I would be glad for suggestions on how to do that. Thanks, Gene

I don't think these are Studebaker wheels - even though the hubcaps are Studebaker - because they only have four bolts holding the rims on. Studebakers of this era used six. The wheels don't appear to have ever been attached to brakes so I guess the date is about 1926. Chevrolet and Ford trucks of this era used 20 inch wheels but these are not from one of those because the number of coachbolts holding the wheel together is different - these wheels have 12 where other ones I have seen have 10 or 8.

Edited by nzcarnerd (see edit history)

I really have no knowledge in these matters but is it possible to put more or less bolts to attach the rim? I will take a better look the next time I am out in the barn. Are the hub caps interchangable between the different hubs? Thanks for the atention, Gene

The wheels usually have a notch in them where the fixing bolts go through. Many hubcaps are interchangeable - depends on the thread size. Fords use noticeable small hubcaps but I am sure many other are the same as each other. Usually only smaller, lighter, cheaper cars used four bolt fixing so that would cut down the number of possibilities. As I stated before the number of bolts holding the hub together might give a clue. Most of the cheaper cars I looked at - Ford, Chevrolet, Pontiac, Chrysler 50 etc - had less than 12. Check the width of the rim, you may find that a 7.00 tyre is far too big for it and it perhaps should actually be on a 4.50 tyre. I think the rim would have to be over 4 inches wide to take a 7.00 tyre. There were not many cars that used 20 inch wheels, many used 21s and then dropped to 19s - Ford cars for example, although the Ford TT truck used 20s. The rims might turn out to be from one of the many makes of light truck available at that time.