Power Antenna 1985

Guest 85CieraHoliday

Guest 85CieraHoliday

Does anyone know where I can find a replacement power antenna for a 1985 Cutlass Ciera? Are there any reputable shops that rebuild power antennas? Mine broke before winter and I'd like to get it working in time for the nice weather.

Thanks- Frank

The GM power antennas from the 1980s are all pretty much the same. There are some differences in mounting brackets, but these usually bolt on and can be swapped. I've had good success with wrecking yard antennas, which are cheap at my favorite yard.

Breakage of the plastic internal cable is common and you can still buy a replacement cable and mast at GM dealers. The antenna must be disassembled to change these parts.

Guest 85CieraHoliday

The motor does just keep running. Is it hard to replace the cable? I have the motor disconnected at the moment since the car is in the garage until Spring.

Hello Frank:

If you are mechanically inclined, you can rebuild your existing power antenna. Once the unit is removed from the car, the plastic case must be opened to replace the metal mast/cable/antenna assembly. The halves of the case are held together by metal clips & I believe, a few brass 'rivets'. Once the case is open, you'll see how the nylon cable attaches & is wound around the plastic spool.

If your local GM dealer can't get a replacement mast assembly, be sure to get the GM part #. That will make it much easier to get a replacement thru the Internet.

I have rebuilt the power antenna on my '84 Toronado more than once & it's not a big deal. On my car, the hardest part was removing & re-installing the entire unit between the outer & inner fender...

Keep us posted.

Paul

Guest 85CieraHoliday

Once we get a stretch of warm weather here in southern Connecticut I'll remove the antenna from the car and try my hand at the repair. Thanks everyone for your help, I will keep you posted...but it may take a few weeks to get an update.