1931 Buick Series 60 Cam Removal

Pat_n_Pat

HELP!! Any special ideas on how to remove the cam. We have everything unfastened, and we can start to pull the camshaft out, but it keeps hitting on crank journals or conn rods. Is there a specific position crank has to be in to remove camshaft? what is it?

Pat:confused:

Problem solved. Found correct position for crankshaft. Then had to drop pan and remove oil pump as the drive gear was preventing bearing clearance.

Now the next problem. Timing gear removal. Because it is Bakelite (or something like that) I do not want to reef on it with a 3-hook gear puller. Tried a bit of pressure but chickened out. We had hoped to slide the cam out and have the cam grinder press the gear off, but the gear hits the frame front cross member at the end of the horns.

Any thoughts on the best way to remove the timing gear?

Pat

I've done two 1932 Series 50's:

P4180008-vi.jpg

PB010037-vi.jpg

They were straight shank keyed hubs. Seems I just supported them from the backside as close as possible, backed off the bolt a little, and they came with a sharp rap. Of course, I had the advantage of having the engine out of the car. If you don't go the puller route, can you just jack up the engine a little after taking loose the rear mounts?

These are not friendly engines to work on even out of the car. Very specific order of assembly and very crappy service manual.

Hey Guys:

Thanks for the comments. We have the cam out of the car. The problem with loosening the rear mounts is the engine has been dropped in the frame, and the firewall is too close to the engine. A friend brought his gear puller and it took just a few minutes. Now off to the cam grinder!

Pat