Brass Car Help & Suggestions

durant frank

This is a great thread, more comments?

I would say that even the non popular make cars can be kept on the road. Dyke's Encylopedia and other publications were a great help in paving the way for new car owners and mechanics alike to make repairs on their cars. And they do the same for us in these times. Methods are explained in simple enough terms so that repairs can usually be carried out by the mechanically inclined. That is part of what make these old cars so interesting. No rocket science or computers involved.

Jim43

I completely agree. Most cars from the brass ear are fairly straightforward. The cars that don't have electric starters/generators are even more basic. The Dyke's Encylopedias are excellent sources of information (and entertainment).

However, it does help to know a good machinist (or two, or three).

This truely is a great thread... Thanks everyone for posting...

I offer the following answer to the question about where and when to tour your brass car...

I have nothing but prewar Buicks. And, my local Buick Club Chapter only did car shows or weekend driving events taylored to later model Buicks with lots of power and speed. So, we started the BCA PreWar Division to promote more tours and activities for prewar car owners.

We have since organized several AfterTours in conjunction with our BCA National Meets. Several of our members also caravan to both regional and national car events. Sometimes it is as simple as scheduling different starting times for the older cars to get a head start. Other times is just means leaving in chronological order if it is a shorter distance to a destination.

I still tour with the HCCA, but enjoy bringing my older Buicks to BCA events where brass Buicks are not so common....

My 2 cents...

Hi All......

Wow the response has been overwhelming!

The brass cars sure have a very loyal and helpful following. And it is alive and doing very well in 2011.

Thanks for all the calls and messages. I've gotten a lot of very good information and leads on cars.

The Brass Buick group is a very good source of info, and I always look forward to the BCA Prewar newsletters.

My quest continues but I'm getting closer to finding the "right" brass car.

Keep the info coming.....

Frank Witkowski

President Durant Motors Automobile Club