1941 olds camshaft end thrust

rkiddo

Looking for information; the 1941 olds 6cyl with hydramatic no longer uses the spring and plunger method to control the end thrust. it uses a thrust plate. Does anyone know what the end thrust limits are? I have .020 and think it should be less.Thanks

Looking for information; the 1941 olds 6cyl with hydramatic no longer uses the spring and plunger method to control the end thrust. it uses a thrust plate. Does anyone know what the end thrust limits are? I have .020 and think it should be less.Thanks

Referencing an old Motors manual (35 to 48): They list 41 as having the spring but not 42. You probably have a late 41 build if you don't have the spring. Anyway it says under camshaft end play: up to 41, "controlled by spring and plunger at the front" and 42 up, "forward thrust is taken by a semi-circular flange in the front engine plate, while the cylinder block takes the backward thrust".

Unfortunately they give no dimensions. I would guess if you see no wear on the plate or the back of the block you're OK.

impala