Oil Bath/Air Filter

Guest Jonny88

Guest Jonny88

Hello all, does anybody have a 1951 new oldstock oil Bath/Air Filter or a used one they want to sell, my 51 olds super 88 is missing its original and now has a paper filter on it as you could see in my pictures of the car from older post. I will use reproduction as a last resort, even if a original one is beat up a tad I can fix it. Thanks

Jonny88

Guest Jim_Edwards

Those things show up on ebay all the time either as salvage originals or reproductions. The same oil bath air cleaners were used on both Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs between 1951 and 1956. The reproductions are typically made of much lighter gauge steel than the originals and all will have the same appearance as the paper filter air cleaner that replaced them.

If you are going to be driving that car a lot, I'd recommend you go with the paper variety as they are more efficient and a whole lot less messy to deal with than an oil bath when it comes time to clean it out.

Jim

Guest Jonny88

Hello Jim, Thanks for your reply, I do understand what you are saying, I have talked to other and they also stated that it is much more of a pain than paper air cleaner. Still I will be looking for one, thank you for your advice. Also could you help me under stand the difference Little more. I do know that they both are used to clean the air that goes into the carburetor, but little else. I guess that the paper filter was a advancement that started in the early 60s maybe, I don't know. Thanks once again

Jon

Guest Jim_Edwards
Hello Jim, Thanks for your reply, I do understand what you are saying, I have talked to other and they also stated that it is much more of a pain than paper air cleaner. Still I will be looking for one, thank you for your advice. Also could you help me under stand the difference Little more. I do know that they both are used to clean the air that goes into the carburetor, but little else. I guess that the paper filter was a advancement that started in the early 60s maybe, I don't know. Thanks once again

Jon

Jon the paper air filter could be considered a mega leap in protecting an engine from airborne particles that could cause carburetor problems and cylinder wall abrasion. With the 1957 production year the oil bath method of cleaning the air entering the carburetor was a dead duck. An oil bath can only trap the larger of airborne particles whereas the paper filters can trap particles no larger than a few microns in size. The paper filters are definitely superior when it comes to eliminating maintenance issues and extending engine life.

Jim

Guest Jim_Edwards
Jim

I should have 1 used air cleaner for 51 olds in good shape might need to be painted

150.oo + shipping

John Hanson

johnanddee1956@yahoo.com

I'd still use the paper type for everyday driving and the oil bath only if you enter the car in some sort of judging competition. Your engine will thank you. It's always a good thing to have a happy engine. :D

Jim

Guest Jonny88

And Jim I do definatly agree with you, I will get both a paper verson for driving and an oil bath version for car shows, thanks for give me insight on this topic for the olds I cant wait to work on this summer.

Guest Jim_Edwards
John, I had asked you a question on the other post, but I will ask here if you check back. could you please send some detailed pictures of this oil bath please my email is ketronj@bgsu.edu.

Jon, I have no detailed pictures of the oil bath used on '51-'56 Oldsmobiles and Cadillacs. I have only two cars which employed oil bath air filtration and they are weird because the cars are Cadillac Eldorados with factory dual quad carb set ups with what is dubbed as a "Batwing" air filter. If there was anyway to replace that dual setup with paper filters where they would still look original I would.

hi jonny88, if i remember right, your 51 olds has a two barrel carburetor, the air cleaner shown above with two air inlets, that were used by cadillac, oldsmobile, and packard are for a four barrel carburetor, not a two barrel like your's. the factory two four carb set up's like cadillac eldorado, packard, and 1956 pontiac 285 hp option, used a delta wing air cleaner with two oil bath breathers, one hanging from each end of the air cleaner. first year that cad and olds had a four barrel carb is 1952. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest Jonny88

Mr. Coker, That helps out a lot, thanks, I did forget that it is a two barrel carb, not four but my confusion is no more thanks to you, I did find a cheap oil bath for sale, please tell me if this is the correct one for my two barrel carb in the 51 olds, thanks for the help.

Jon

!B+R(U9w!2k~$(KGrHqEOKjcEz(BedETHBM+Fdwl8GQ~~_3.JPG

Guest Jonny88
The air cleaner that i have is for a4 bbl it has duel scoops on the side of it

may be 52 or later I have the same in a Cadillac

John hanson

Ok, thanks for the offer though, sadly the carb on the olds is a two barrel, thanks for the help I appreciate it.

Jon

hi jonny88, this does look correct, it should have a hand wound fastening rod and y shape head to fasten the breather to the carburetor air horn, measure both, you should find they're about the same size. this breather is very much like what pontiac used as the heavy duty breather on 53-54 pontiacs. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

hi jonny88, i need to correct myself alittle, i was remembering how the air breather fasten to the pontiac carburetor. i found the exact breather you're talking about, does your carburetor air horn have the mounting for the long stud to fasten to it, and go all the way thru to the hole in the lid for the wingnut ??, that's a cheap price for the breather, go get it jonny88, charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.

Guest Jonny88

Ok Pontiac1953 I bought the oil bath that was pictured above for 25 dollars, I hope that is what you meant when you said breather. I will eventually clean it up in the spring and put it on the car once summer rolls around. I might just also use it just for shows but it looks to be a good buy. The bath did had no rust, cracks or dents. All it needs is a good cleaning and a nice black paint job and I should be set with the carburator and filter system. Tell me does the oil bath also have a filter inside of it that goes along with the oil, or is it just oil that filters the particulates from the clean air that goes into the filter. Thanks for all your help

Jon

hi jonny88, yes, there is also a filter that the air will pass thru after getting pass the pool of oil. the standard air cleaner (breather) had just the filter, which needed to be cleaned very so often, the heavy duty air cleaner, the one you bought, makes the incoming air go thru a sharp 180% turn, passing over the pool of oil, causing heavier dust to get trapped in the oil, the filter will trap the lighter dust, as the air makes it's way to the carburetor. fill the oil pool with clean 50 weight oil to the fill line. twice a year, spring and fall, clean out the old oil, add new oil, take the filter and wash it kerosene, allow it to drain dry. charles coker, 1953 pontiac tech advisor.