Steering column sector gear for 71 Riv

fatbuick

If anyone knows where one could be purhased please let me know.

This the gear on the column where the ignition key barrel is.

A friend of mine has a tooth broken off that part which causes the starter motor to stay engaged after the engine fires up.

OPG seems to have them for 78 onwards

I just went through this on my '74 Avanti which uses a GM steering column. NAPA has them, I looked up a '71 Riv and attached the link below. If the link does not work, NAPA calls it a "steering column switch kit" Be aware, there are different parts for tilt vs non-tilt columns. Before you remove the column make sure the ignition switch located lower on the column is good. It may be so worn that contacts are crossing each other. FWIW, I thought mine was broken and jambed as the lock would not turn, but it was from the car sitting and the grease had turned to glue. If I had just removed the wheel and the lock, I would have noticed this and been able to grease things up. The columns are not hard to remove and it is a good time anyway to repair that rag joint coupler at the steering box which is likely original. NAPA has those too. I matched up the pieces of my old one to a universal one they had.

Store Locator | NAPA Online

• 4 weeks later...