Deal of the Century (1940 Century that is)

Guest BJM

1940 buick century

I talked with the owner whose name is Yanni (like the New Age singer) and we had a great conversation.

Yanni bought a total of 4 1940 Buicks from an old man in New Hampshire who collected the cars because the 1st car he owned was a 1940 Buick Century four door sedan. As 1940 Buick four door sedans became available to him locally, he bought them.

3 1940 Century Sidemount trunkback sedans

1 Special four door trunkback sedan

Yanni said he purchased all four for $3500 and this includes a car which runs and drives. He would sell all 4 cars for $3500.00.

The Century in the Craigs List ad has a massive dent in the roof, requiring replacement only. A tree fell on the car, which the old New Hampshire owner was actually driving daily, and then allowed to sit outside until the pooled water rusted a whole in the roof.

Yanni said he is selling the 40 sidemounted Century and the 40 Special together because the 40 Special has a perfect roof to cut off and weld onto the Century.

He was honest and believable. He said the sidemount front fenders were solid with no rust out in the bottoms. The Century is complete including the 320 Roadmaster engine.

Now for $3500 a buyer would get 3 Centurys and the Special. The front clip on the CL car with sidemounts could be sold for probably $750 alone. Parting another of the 4 Centurys out would probably get another $1000-$1500.

He said he has had a LOT of out of state calls asking to sell just one of the 2 cars (due to transport) .

Brian,

My hope is that someone from the New England area would be interested in going in on purchasing all 4. For $3500, I am pretty sure the investment could be recouped in parting 1-2 of them out.

I am pretty sure I want the Century (and Special) in the photo. I just need to determine if I can rebody the Special onto the Century frame.

I think Yanni's idea of cutting off the Special top to place on the Century sounds like too much work to me. I am not an accomplished welder.

Plus -- He says one of the other 2 Century's is a running/driving solid car with sidemounts. Now, if that is true, how much would one pay for an all original 1940 Century 4 door trunkback sedan running/driving?

On ebay, you could probably sell that for $3000 to $4000 alone. But he does not want to sell only the "good" cars and be stuck with these two. Or, buy these two cars and part them out (which would be a shame to part BOTH of them) [for $1500] and I'll bet a person could get $3000-$4000 in 1940 Buick parts sales.

If they were closer, I would buy them, but they are about as far away from me as California and transport for two would be $1500 probably if I could locate a transporter at all.

As a former owner of a 1940 Special, I am intrigued, but have no room.

I keep trying to talk the wife into leaving suburbia and moving out, but she's not that into it. :)

I found a home the same size as our with a bigger garage, plus 7 acres and a 35x65 barn for less than our current home and I am READY TO GO, but she's not interested.

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Might be a good thing. No matter now big my storage space is, I'm sure I'll overfill it. :)

As a former owner of a 1940 Special, I am intrigued, but have no room.

I keep trying to talk the wife into leaving suburbia and moving out, but she's not that into it. :)

I found a home the same size as our with a bigger garage, plus 7 acres and a 35x65 barn for less than our current home and I am READY TO GO, but she's not interested.

ARRRRRGGGGHHHHH!!!!!!!

Might be a good thing. No matter now big my storage space is, I'm sure I'll overfill it. :)

Wow sounds sweet. I understand. The perfect size is hard to gauge. We should enjoy what we have but there are so many....

At least I can say I am only looking for ONE pre war Buick to own. Many that I like, but would like to own just one for touring purposes.

Guest sintid58

Speaking of room we recently purchased a home about 45 miles north of where we currently live. The house we live in has a nice garage but not really big enough for all mine and the city will not let me build another garage unless it is attached to the house and looks nice doing it. So we have kind of been looking around for some place more rural since we are both driving truck and don't have to commute daily distance from the job isn't a big factor. We bought a house on an acre of land for considerably less that what the current home is worth and hope to have enough left after everything is done to build a 40 by 50 garage with enough height to put in a hoist. I hope to be able to swing it so I can have a heated insulated shop area inside the larger shop where I can have my hoist also.