Paint color information 1936 chevrolet pickup

Guest grandpas1936

Guest grandpas1936

Hi. I'm in the process of restoring a 1936 1/2 ton Chevrolet pickup my great-grandpa bought new. It was repainted (in a very poor manner) in 1973 and most of the paint was stripped and replaced with flat black.

The issue I am having is that in the areas that weren't stripped, I have Armour Yellow paint. This includes the door jams and where my radiator support meets the fenders.

From what I can find, they didn't make this color until 1937. I believe the truck should be this color on the cab and have black fenders.

Any ideas?

Also, does anyone know if the inside of the cab should be black or the same color as the outside.

Thanks for your help. This project means a lot to me and bringing it back to original paint colors is very important.

grandpas1936, I have a 1936 gmc 1/2 ton with original paint. it is a yellow orange with black fenders and running boards. I do not know for a fact that color interchange between GMC and Chevrolet in the early days. I think your best bet is to go on ebay and type in 1936 chevrolet and look for a paint chart. If you wait for the right one it will have highly detailed mixing formula which is very helpfull. Without that you can only hope that the chip has not changed color from original , then you have your paint dealer match to that. Long gone are the days when you can go to the paint store say the year , make and name of some color like omaha orange and 10 minutes latter they hand you a gallon ( for $30.00 ) Ha!

grandpas1936, I have a 1936 gmc 1/2 ton with original paint. it is a yellow orange with black fenders and running boards. I do not know for a fact that color interchange between GMC and Chevrolet in the early days. I think your best bet is to go on ebay and type in 1936 chevrolet and look for a paint chart. If you wait for the right one it will have highly detailed mixing formula which is very helpfull. Without that you can only hope that the chip has not changed color from original , then you have your paint dealer match to that. Long gone are the days when you can go to the paint store say the year , make and name of some color like omaha orange and 10 minutes latter they hand you a gallon ( for $30.00 ) Ha!

forgot to mention that in 1936 GM pickups had a medium brown wrinkle finish on the interior, this includes dash and door panels. It is very hard to duplicate. Hopefully some one out there has found a product that will give the same look as original.

My suggestion would be to post the question on the Vintage Chevrolet Club of America chat forum. A lot of good folks with very specific knowledge about Chevrolets. And since your restoring the truck, I would also suggest you become a member--they have a very nice monthly publication as well as other benefits such access to volunteer experts for specific year Chevrolets. But to post to the chat forum, you do not have to be a member.

But to your question, I think I've seen 36 Chevrolet trucks painted a dark green. Also, my dim memory seems to recall a color called "Bluebell Blue" being used on early and mid 30's Chevrolet trucks.

Hope this helps.

Guest grandpas1936

The original color was indeed ARMOUR YELLOW. It is a perfect match to the paint in the "hiding-places on the truck. I found a picture of it from 1971 before it was repainted and it is original.

@RAMAIR: I would love to see some pictures and possibly some on the inside. This is going to be along project and it sounds like your truck is exactly like mine is going to look.

Maybe this will help me keep the faith on a 3-4 year project.

• 10 months later...

Hi, Just wondering how the 1936 is doing? Did you get all your questions answered? If not send me a PM and I will share some new found info, Michael

• 3 weeks later...
Guest grandpas1936

Well it has been a long road trying to find the time to work on it. I finished all of the bodywork on the cab with absolutely no bondo. Metal work is harder than it sounds but she is smooth as glass now. I have it in sealer now and am trying to get the interior sodablasted so I can seal it.

Noone here seems to want to do it so I am investing in one.

Fenders are complete. The fronts were in good condition but the back ones were terrible and too some creative work with a MIG and English wheel.

Haven't gotten as far as I would like but........... she will be finished.