Wanted back half tin for 1929 Pontiac coupe

alsfarms

Hello, I am looking to restore a 1929 coupe that was converted to a truck many years ago. I need the back half tin or quarter panels. What years would be similar? Does any Buick product use similar sheet metal? What about other GM makes? Would Oakland be the same or similar? If you have any spare tin in the back pile or can help me on my search, please drop a note.

Thanks,

Alan

1-435-864-3667 eves.

Alan,

The 1930 coupe is similar but not exactly the same due to the belt line molding extending down the side of the '30 quarter panel whereas the '29 model did not. Deck lid should be same and pretty sure the fenders are the same. The one thing going for you is that more 1929 Pontiac's were built than '30s or any other for '26-'32. Good luck.

I'm not sure that I wouldn't want to keep that a pickup if it was done nicely. Sure it's not factory original but it does reflect an important time in America's history. Here's one that was converted pretty well.

Rick

post-70269-143138364146_thumb.jpeg

post-70269-143138364148_thumb.jpeg

Hello Rick,

I would agree if the job were well done. This particular one was not finished very well, probably hacked to the point that it was was usable on the farm until it wore out and that was it....off to the junk yard. This project is junk without the addition of quarter panels. Do you have any pictures of the differences you suggested in your post? Do you know if any other GM product would be similar and allow me to broaden my search? I have enough body skills that some manipulation of quarters would not scare me if I could end up with something that is an accurate body piece. Thanks for your response.

Regards, Alan

Edited by alsfarms
spelling (see edit history)

Although I have never compared them up close, I would say that the closest thing you could find would be a 1929 Chevrolet. Just looking at images online they look very similar even on the crease of the top of the quarters. I have compared 1930 and 1931 Pontiacs to Chevrolets and I can tell you there is always some small difference so probably so with the '29s as well. But maybe not so much that you could not 'massage' the sheet metal as you suggested. Chevrolet tin should be much easier to find than Pontiac, but finding donor quarters that are not on a restorable car might be alittle tough.

Oldsmobile's of these models too were similar like the Pontiacs and Chevys but good luck finding an 1929 Olds donor. All this should open up your search, though

Rick