57 ford dash pad

Guest 34bud

Hello from snowy Spokane WA. I have a 57 retractable that has a padded dash that looks like it was recovered cheaply. Looks like heck. Did these cars come with a padded dash or did someone cover this. Has anyone replaced theirs any tips how to remove if it is a factory padded dash.

Padded instrument panel tops were factory optional back then. On many of them, even non-Fords, the padding inside would deteriorate and "clump" with age and heat--didn't look too good all lumpy and such. Part of Ford's "Life Guard" equipment, but optional.

Knowing how JCWhitney (or whichever name you might desire) from back then was, they might have had an instrument panel pad that would be "just like factory" or "upgrade to factory" in nature. Might be in "factory black" rather than "color-keyed", though.

Just some thoughts,

NTX5467

Guest Jim_Edwards
Hello from snowy Spokane WA. I have a 57 retractable that has a padded dash that looks like it was recovered cheaply. Looks like heck. Did these cars come with a padded dash or did someone cover this. Has anyone replaced theirs any tips how to remove if it is a factory padded dash.

I don't recall ever having seen a '57 Ford with a padded dash, but as suggested it may have been an option. If it is a factory original, it most certainly would be a mess as the foam used in that era will have lost it and will have become a sticky sagging goo. If the vinyl still looks good but the foam is a mess, which is the circumstance I ran into with my '58 Mercury, it may be a factory original. If all cracked up, probably not.

Jim