Got the 26 Buick running, couple ?'s though...

Guest 97welter

Guest 97welter

It is a 26 Buick Standard. I have it running, only starts on starter fluid. I have the gas line to the gas tank disconnected and have been putting gas in the vacuum tank. I also have the 2 vacuum lines from the manifold removed (1 for wipers and 1 for the gas vacuum tank). This is where I have been spraying the starter fluid. I sealed the cork float in the carb with krazy glue and cleaned the carb.

I guess the generator isnt working, when I disconnect the battery the car dies. I check the voltage at the starter and is is oscillating so much that I cant get a reading. The same on the generator wire by the motor. The other generator wire reads a bit less than 2 volts. Is there something that may cause this or is it the generator? The motor is also misfiring perhaps. It seems to oscillate a bit also, no backfiring or smoke either....Im going to get new spark plug wires, anything else I can do?

Mark is right. Do you have a service manual? I am not familiar with the 26, but it can't be much different than our 31. The Cut Out is a little "box" mounted on top of the generator (newer cars used "voltage regulators" with their generators). It can be a little touchy. The cut out connects the generator with the battery when the engine speed is sufficient to charge the battery, and disconnects when the engine rpm is too low. It prevents the battery from discharging through the generator at low rpm. Pull the cover, clean it up, check the contacts. On my '31 the points should be between .015" and .025". The points should close when the voltage is between 6.7 and 7.5 volts.

Pat

Guest 97welter

Thanks for the link. When I install one, do I have to adjust it? How do I do it? The one on my car has the cover removed, I cleaned the contact with some sandpaper. Im out of gas, so I have to get some tomorrow before I can fire it up again. How can I see if mine is good?