Early '35 truck u-joints

Guest Knucklebuster

Guest Knucklebuster

I am starting to restore an early '35 K32 1 1/2 ton DB truck. I have everything original and have located "most" of the parts I need to bring her back where she was but.....the cross type u-joints for this model seem to be harder to find than an honest politician. They were only used on the K series and were not used after june'35 on any truck.KC KCL are different also. Bernbaum knows what they look like, told me good luck. If anyone has any ideas, knowledge, contacts, u-joint divining rod etc please help. Just joined DB club this year and hopefully will be able to not only put this beauty back on the road but make my way (slowly of course, 5.66 gears I think) to a DB club meet one day.

post-67224-143138350685_thumb.jpg

Guest Knucklebuster

OK I guess no one has a lead for the u-joints haha.

How bout this one, it should be easy. I have looked everywhere, even bought ads from the "E"place from 1934-35 and it shows a little in the pic but anyway,Im rambling. DOES ANYONE KNOW what the crank hole insert looked like on the 34,early35 DB truck 1 ton or larger. And how did it mount(snap,twist?)

I saw a gentleman on here that had a '35 dumptruck a few weeks back but cant remember his name. Please help!

You only posted that first request 3 hours ago. There are folks on the west coast who are still at work. You will probably get some replies. As far as the crankhole cover, it looks to be a basic large "clip-on" or "1/4 turn" type with the chrome "button" look. If your crank hole looks similar to the black one pictured, then you will need the "1/4 turn" type of cap that has two tabs on the back. The third photo is the back side of the grille on my '31 with the cap attached.

post-37352-143138350774_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138350794_thumb.jpg

post-37352-143138350802_thumb.jpg

Edited by keiser31 (see edit history)

On my 52 truck I had to have a driveshaft shop make the shaft with newer joints, wasnt that expensive, took them my shafts, they used the tubes and I dont know what else, less or right around 300 bucks I think.

Its nice to go with original when you can and usually depending how much time you want to put into it and how much money you want to spend that is possible but in some cases when speaking about a wearable item that will continue to take a pounding other alternatives can be considered in my opinion

Guest Knucklebuster

Just wanted to put this out there in case anyone was interested. Been wrenchin on cars for 35 years and never saw anything like this until now. The cross assy looks just like any newer style u-joint but...

the bearing cups have ears that lock into the driveshaft after inserting and then turning 90 degrees. then the plate goes over the rectangular button and is held on with a cotter pin (or nail if your a shadetree like the previous owner of my truck) haha.

This may not be new to many but for me it was interesting. The late '35s had same cross but the cups have the internal clips we see so often today.

Thank you very much to all who have replied to my post. This forum reminds me of bench racing/toolbox chat which is how I honed my skills so many years ago from knowledgable veterans and I hope someday I can pass on a little to some people too.

PS I just want to do this one time for kicks!

The ones I wrecked or just wore out:

1972 Cheyenne 350/350 (second fastest truck/car in county - (I built the engine for the fastest though)

1973 Camaro RS (took out 145 feet of guardrail and drove it home-barely)

1964 Chevelle - plain jane sleeper but fun

Still have my baby-1979 Buick Regal(t-top) w/ engine I built in 1982. Engine has been in all of the above toys.

Tired of newer and ordinary

Friend has 37 ford PU and I liked it so...

Now I got the Dodge and all I wanna do is go "slow"

Hats off to all the DB brothers/sisters out there.

post-67224-143138358668_thumb.jpg