Case of Buick Fever?

Guest Jim_Edwards

Guest Jim_Edwards

Okay guys I've always thought the '56 and '57 Buicks were among the most beautiful cars ever produced, even in comparison to my Caddy's of the same years and my '62 Olds Starfires. Maybe very elegant would be a better description rather than beautiful. After browsing around some of the photos here of all the '56 and '57 eye candy has my interest piqued once again.

I guess the only thing that has stopped me from jumping into the waters has been the "Dynaslush" transmissions as we not so kindly called them back in the 1950s. I still have memories of mopping up a new '56 Buick with my somewhat modified '46 Ford Coupe and hearing that darn tranny winding up as I shot passed.

Today, I'm not looking to be drag racing anything (for the most part, ya just never know) but I am curious as to just how well the old Dynaslushes have held up over the years and if it costs an arm and a leg to have one rebuilt. Just in case the "gotta have a '56 or '57 Buick" urge gets totally beyond control.

Jim

I can peel the bias ply tires off with my stock Dynaflow when putting it in low and stomping it... and I can do that with my factory AC on. Some engine modifications were done but my trans doesn't leak a drop after replacing the torque ball retainer. As a matter of fact, the transmission in my Special has never been rebuilt. Bring on that Ford!!!

Guest Jim_Edwards
I can peel the bias ply tires off with my stock Dynaflow when putting it in low and stomping it... and I can do that with my factory AC on. Some engine modifications were done but my trans doesn't leak a drop after replacing the torque ball retainer. As a matter of fact, the transmission in my Special has never been rebuilt. Bring on that Ford!!!

Thanks a bunch for the info. But I ought to curse both you and The Old Guy for opening the door for me to be looking for another '50s car. :D

Can't bring that Ford on, haven't had it for years and years though there have been many times I wish I had never sold it. If I had reliable brakes on my '58 Mercury I'd be willing to bring it on. Unfortunately, the brake booster hasn't worked worth a damn since I dropped a roller cam into it and manifold vacuum dropped to minimal for an old Bendix treadle vac booster. I just hate it when running at over 100 mph it's discovered the brakes aren't worth a flip. One of these days I'll get around to putting an auxiliary vacuum pump in it or maybe a modern brake booster. Been trying to keep it looking original all the way around, which it does though the engine is kicking out 650 hp.

Jim

Edited by Jim_Edwards (see edit history)