vehicle history

Guest ragtoprocketbri

Guest ragtoprocketbri

Hi,i am writing this letter on a bit of a long shot!having only recently joined the aaca i was wondering how to go about trying to trace the history of my vehicles!my 1st vehicle is a 1958 oldsmobile s88 convertible-i have owned this car for 16 years now after having spent the first 3 years restoring it-the reason i am posting this to the aaca is -i am based in north east england!-my oldsmobile is thought to have been brought over here late 50s-early 60s by a us serviceman based at RAF lakenheath-the car was blue (later painted white)and with a blue white interior and the uk licence plate is ycf 714! the other vehicle is a 1965 buick le sabre-2dr in red,this car was imported here to the uk from alabama earlier this year,on route the vehicle broke free of its moorings on the high sea,s -this caused some bodywork damage which i am now in the process of repairing-the alabama licence plate still on this car is 31A2206,i think that this car had some restoration work done before it came to the uk as it seems to be in excellent order throughout!i would be very interested to here from anyone with any info or history on any of these vehicles-best regards-Brian-(NEWCASTLE-england)

Brian,

I'm responding not because I know the answer but because you deserve a reply. I think the reason nobody has answered is because there really isn't any way in the U.S. to trace a car. Each state has its own unique registration system and whether it's due to privacy concerns (ususally the stated reason) or ineptitude (more likely) few if any states will help you. A search of this forum will find several strings on this topic.

In Alabama the first digit or two indicate the county of registration. "31" is Etowah County around Gadsden, Alabama. You might post your question on the Buick forum below with something like "Red '65 Lesabre from Gadsden, AL" in the title. It's a very active forum, maybe someone will recognize it.

It sounds like you have a couple of nice cars. Good luck.

Don