1916 Maxwell Racer Info Sought

hddennis

Just stumbled across this in a newspaper archive and wondered if any better pictures could be found of this car. Apparently Ray McNamara did a lot of driving for Maxwell as a factory representative.. This car was built by Maxwell and if enough information could be found I'd like to replicate it with my chassis. Sorry for the poor quality but it's all I've found.

Howard Dennis<!-- google_ad_section_end --

Dec. 31 2011... found a better image

post-33891-143138338209_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138784302_thumb.jpg

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

• 6 months later...

After 6 months and no replies, today I stumbled across this with a Google image search. Sure looks like the same car to me. Does anyone recognize the body from the dash back? Could it possibly be an earlier Maxwell body?

Thanks, Howard Dennis

post-33891-143138526825_thumb.jpg

While wracking my brain this morning trying to find where the body for this little factory racer came from Google images answered my question. I think this picture of Eddie Rickenbacker's racer clears up my mystery.

Howard Dennis

post-33891-143138528297_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138528301_thumb.jpg

• 7 months later...
Guest BobD735

Hi Dennis,

A photo in the Jan/Feb 2012 issue of Westways magazine, shows on page 6, a stripped down 1915 Maxwell racer. The body appears to be similar to the body You are considering to replicate, for Your 1916 Maxwell chassis. Westways is published by the Automobile Club of Southern California.

Bob

Got the magazine and was able to get in touch with the owner of these photos who sent me better copies that I thought I'd post. Anyone know anything about the name on drivers clothes. This was in Southern California around 1915-16. Was there a Ventura Gasoline?

Just answered my own question on Google again.

Howard Dennis

post-33891-143138783027_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138783056_thumb.jpg

post-33891-143138783074_thumb.jpg

Edited by hddennis (see edit history)

Thanks Paul. These are the more famous "Big" cars with the large race only engines. I'm looking for the smaller stock chassis record setting cars that Maxwell used to gain publicity for speed, endurance and economy with across the U.S. and Canada. Very little is known about these cars and I'd like to change that.

Howard Dennis