1926 Cobalt Blue

Bob Atkinson

I just discovered this forum and thought I would start out by "giving" rather than "asking".

I have the mixing formula for 1926 Buick Cobalt Blue in modern PPG base coat if anyone needs it. Here is how we got there: I previoulsy restored my 1926 Buick in the late 1960's. At that time I was able to get the original mixing formula from Buick/PPG but only in nitrocellulos laquer which is what we used. When it came time to restore it again in 2008, the body shop I worked with had a PPG rep. come out with a spectrophotometer (?) and shoot that 1960's paint. They painted me a sample and it was a dead-on match.

Attached is a picture showing the completed paint job.

If anyone needs the formula, e-mail me at bobatkinson@roadrunner.com

post-70936-143138336848_thumb.jpg

Guest cardinal905

I have a 26 sedan that was blue prior to being painted a dark purple, I have always thought that I would some day repaint the car to original specs. I have yet to look up if there were only one blue available---anyone have that info? I would think this Cobalt is the only one and yes I would love that formula, I assume any paint supplier could mix it when I am ready. Thanks and welcome to the greatest Buick site on the planet. Mike.

Thanks for your interest in my car. Here are some additional pictures.

This car has some interesting history. It has been in my family almost as long as I have! My Dad purchased it with 17,000 actual miles in 1951. It is a 1926 model 47 sedan. It is frame serial number 1600140 which I believe would indicate an April 1926 build date and after the switch in January to cobalt blue for this model. My Dad restored it twice - once in the 1950's and again in the early 1960's. Unfortunately he was not a stickler for authenticity. I have owned it since 1968. I also have restored it twice - once in the late 1960's / early 1970's and again starting in 2008. I tried to put it back as authentic as I could. It had the original interior until 2008. The new mohair is a near exact color match to unfaded parts of the original. The dual spare tire carrier extensions are a copy (couldn't do exact but they are close) of the accessory Detroit Carrier extensions that were on a 1927 model 51 we had at one time.

Two issues I would like some comment on:

1. I believe when Buick switched to cobalt blue with french grey striping they also switched to grey linoleum running board covering. When I restored this car my first time it had black rubber covering, but under that was grey linoleum. I still have some of that original linoleum. Also from period photographs it appears if the car has the grey striping it has a lighter colored running board covering than black.

2. I know the wheel spokes were supposed to be painted body color and striped but this car has no evidence of the spokes ever being painted. In pictures going back to 1951 it had tired looking but natural colored spokes. There are no remnants of blue paint on the spokes even behind the brake drums. Could natural spokes be special ordered? Either this car came with natural spokes or somebody did a really good job of stripping and refinishing the spokes well ahead of 1951.

The exterior plating is chrome and I know it should be nickel. This is leftover from my Dad's 1960's restoration and it is still in really good shape plus I suspect that radiator shell would cost a fortune to replate today. I did have all the interior hardware replated in nickel this last time around (and yes, it cost a fortune).

I hope you enjoy the pictures.

post-70936-143138338283_thumb.jpg

post-70936-143138338301_thumb.jpg

post-70936-143138338321_thumb.jpg

post-70936-14313833834_thumb.jpg

post-70936-143138338384_thumb.jpg

Guest 97welter

Beautiful car Bob. I bought the exact car a few months ago. This guys father passed away and he inherited a few antique cars. It sat in climate controlled storage for >40 years. It is 100% complete, some small parts were removed and put in boxes, no wood rot, only rusted metal is the tray under the motor. The car is dirty and the motor turns by hand. I am going to start working on it this weekend. Do you have any pointers on how to go about getting this running? Where do you get your parts at? I need the oil filter on the passenger side firewall, it is all cracked up. Where are you located? Im in Charleston SC for now. Would appreciate and help you could offer.

From what I have been able to find out 1926 was the first year for oil filters on Buicks and they used a cigar box shaped Purolator filter. In 1927 they went to a round AC filter. The attachment fitting is pot metal and mine is cracked too. I currently have the oil filter by-passed with a brass fitting connecting the two oil lines that would go to the filter. These filters were likely used cars other than Buick. But, I have been searching for a good replacement for 20 years with no success.

Some of the vendors I have bought from and would reccommend include: Bob's Automobilia, Olsens Gaskets, Steele Rubber Products, Restoration Supply Co., LeBaron Bonny. and Wire King.

Before trying to start the engine, I would drain and wash out the gas tank, blow out the fuel lines, drop the oil pan, scrape out any sludge, replace with fresh oil, lube the fan, and grease the fittings for the water pump, distributor, fan rocker, and grease cup for the throw out bearing. Pour gas in the vacuum tank but on first start leave the fuel line from the gas tank disconnected.

I am in Avon, OH just West of Cleveland.