Help loose timing chain

Guest fembree

Guest fembree

We are rebuilding my 1931 dodge DH 6 cyl engine, we ended up using a crank and cam out of another engine around the same year. Everything looks and fits fine except the timing chain is a morsehyvo- tec chain instead of the a roller chain and sprockets from the original engine.

The problem is there is no adjustment and its a little loose does anyone have any suggestions how to tighten it.

The chain and gears don't look worn at all. I would hate to buy a new chain if a new one isn't much better.

Can I get different size gears for that type of chain.

Thanks Fred Nova Scotia Canada!!!!

Guest Silverghost

The MORCE type timing chains do not wear well at all. they are known for streaching and breaking.

There are no oversize gears! The old gears are most likely worn also ...

Why not use the true roller set-up ? That's what racers use today on high performance engines.

Usually you replace the gears and chain new as a complete set !

This gives you as-new maximum tightness ; as it should be.

This entire timing set-up should be fairly tight when new !

Problem is ...

I don't know if you can buy complete new timing gears & chain for your application ?

If you can ...

Go with a roller chain set-up.

It sounds like your old rivited together Morse chain is almost at the end of it's life & is shot !

As I said they really streach when old.

Your timing & engine performance will suffer as a result.

As you change engine speeds your timing will jump all over the place.

And the old stretched Morse chain could jump a tooth or two; worse yet break leaving you and your car stranded by the side of the road somewhere !

You need to contact the old Dodge parts guys for a new set-up~

Or at the very least a new chain !

I know~

I am mechanical Engineer & Machine Designer...

Among other things ? !

Good Luck !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)

We are rebuilding my 1931 dodge DH 6 cyl engine, we ended up using a crank and cam out of another engine around the same year. Everything looks and fits fine except the timing chain is a morsehyvo- tec chain instead of the a roller chain and sprockets from the original engine.

The problem is there is no adjustment and its a little loose does anyone have any suggestions how to tighten it.

The chain and gears don't look worn at all. I would hate to buy a new chain if a new one isn't much better.

Can I get different size gears for that type of chain.

Thanks Fred Nova Scotia Canada!!!!

I had my 1931 DH6 rebuilt by Egge Machine in California. I would contact them for the correct gears and/or chain.

egge.com