History Channel gets two new shows

Guest Paul Christ

Here's how I decide to whether watch a new auto-related show or not:

• Heavy guitar licks - deduct 10 points,
  • Over the top tatoo's and piercings - deduct 10 points,
  • Baseball caps worn backwards for appearance, not practicality - deduct 10 points,
  • Working against a unrealistic time schedule - deduct 10 points,
  • Any sub plot surrounding the participants in the show that has no relevence - deduct 10 points
  • Arguing, strife, bad language and just plain boorish behavior - deduct 10 points.

Uncle Buck, this is genius at work!

Reluctantantly, I watched the new American Restoration show and have to agree with 1937hd45 that this show is not bad. I also noticed the use of phillips screws and other inauthentic touches (while being told about attention to detail) but this is more palatable to me than car programs of the cut & chop variety. There are a few deductions based on the criteria above, but not bad, I will watch again, Todd C

• 2 months later...
Guest victorcarre

I watched several episodes of American Restoration and thought it was pretty good. That was a month or so ago and I have not seen any new shows. Does anyone know if it was cancelled already or what?

Guest Skip Jordan

The History Channel lost me when they put on the phoniest "reality" show of all time, "Chasing Mummies." Purportedly a documentary following archaeologists in Egypt, every scene had obviously been set up, and shot from a variety of angles that are beyond the capabilities of their single camera.

Anyway, I wish someone would just rerun my favorite car series of all, "Victory by Design," hosted by Alain de Cadenet, who took you along with him while driving some of the greatest cars ever built, including early Alfas, Astons, Ferraris, Porsches, Jaguars, etc. At around $125, the 6-DVD set is a bit steep for me.

Guest 1969dan

I have to agree, "Victory by Design" was one of my favorites, great drives and sounds, especially with surround sound, I just cranked it up!

The History Channel lost me when they put on the phoniest "reality" show of all time, "Chasing Mummies." Purportedly a documentary following archaeologists in Egypt, every scene had obviously been set up, and shot from a variety of angles that are beyond the capabilities of their single camera.

Anyway, I wish someone would just rerun my favorite car series of all, "Victory by Design," hosted by Alain de Cadenet, who took you along with him while driving some of the greatest cars ever built, including early Alfas, Astons, Ferraris, Porsches, Jaguars, etc. At around $125, the 6-DVD set is a bit steep for me.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should have taped it while you had the chance!

Don

Guest Skip Jordan
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

You should have taped it while you had the chance!

Don

That's why I wish someone would rerun it. At the time, I didn't know it was a continuing series and I just accidentally came upon it while channel surfing. The Speed Channel isn't one of my default channels – too many hot rod shows – though i will be ready for Friday's all-day Barrett-Jackson marathon, in spite of all the muscle cars.

Edited by Skip Jordan (see edit history)

Guest billybird

I watch a lot of retro t.v. shows like Gunsmoke, Bonanza, The Andy Griffith show, Sanford and Son and The Rifleman. I guess I'm stuck in a time warp or could it be that most t.v. today stinks?

American Restorations doesn't appear to be cancelled, as it is still listed on the History Channel's website, but it appears that only 4 episodes were originally ordered.

imdb and wiki also have no additional information?

Interesting. We'll just have to wait and see when they announce new episodes.