Spark Plug

Guest Model T Nick

Guest Model T Nick

I found an old spark plug and I can't make out the name. The 1st letter is in old english scrip then _dering. Does anyone know what the 1st letter is? Thanks

Guest De Soto Frank

Someone used to make / sell a plug with the name "Fire-ring" ... could it have been Firestone ? They used the Old English "F" in their logo...

Post a pic and I can probably tell you what it is. Most likely it's Doering - but it's only a guess at this point.

Found some decent old spark plugs at Hershey this year for my collection - more always wanted!

Terry

Guest Model T Nick

doering1.jpg

Doering that's it. Thanks Terry My camera's not good enought to take closeup pictures so I stold this from someone on Ebay. Sure looked like something DERING to me

Doering is a popular plug since it has a "gimick" to it - adjustable spark gap that actually helps. The idea was discovered in France as long ago as the turn of the century by Panhard engineers. A lot of plug incorporated the air-gap or adjustable-gap idea over the year. Doering has been around for a long time and most recently large quantities of them were sold through J.C.Whitney. Don't think they are still made but enough are around to keep collectors happy and new collectors excited about their discoveries. I'll try to get a few more pics done with some earlier versions on the plug.

Terry