Oil Filter

Guest Tim E.

I need to find the oil filter number for a 1943 Chrysler engine. The manual calls it a Type T-109-501; it is a 6-cylinder flathead industrial engine as used in WW-2 OCD trailer pumps. The manual does not give an oil filter number.

It is not known whether the filter on it now is equivalent to the original. It now has a Wix 51035 which is equivalent to NAPA 1035. It probably is also equivalent to Motorcraft FL142. I need to obtain a replacement.

It is not a screw-on type, nor the type that fits into a cannister (cartridge?) It is a metal can that does not come apart, and has 1/8" pipe threaded connections at the top and bottom.

Thanks.

I have in front of me a Chryco (Canadian Chrysler parts) catalog. It shows the same filter for flathead 6 Plymouth Dodge and DeSoto cars and Dodge trucks, from 1937 to 1956. It is described as a sealed type filter, part number 861 028.

It cross references like this.

Chryco 861 028

Purolator PR- 1/2

AC paper F-1000

Fram Filtronic PB-1/2

Kralinator K-1/2

Wix can type WF-1/2

Walker Deluxe SU-3

That is a throw away type filter meant to be replaced every 5000 miles or so. I don't think they have been made in years. You might find an NOS or NORS one at a swap meet or from a parts dealer. These part numbers were current in the mid sixties

The replaceable cartridge filter was a slightly more expensive option. If you could find one of those off another flathead six Chrysler product the cartridges are still available from your local parts store, they are used by various tractors and stationary engines.

I can't find an engine model T109 but T108 and T110 are Canadian made Dodge truck engines, 1940 and 1941-45 respectively. So possibly the T109 model was a Dodge truck engine used for a stationary power plant.A lot of so called American equipment from WW2 is actually Canadian made, Canada's industries were on a war footing from September 1939, the US did not follow suit until early 1942.

My 1951-52 Chryco parts list also shows an Oil Filter - sealed type part number 861028 as well as an Oil Filter - replaceable type, assembly-1324428 and cartridge 1121694 and Oil Filter - full flow type.

The full flow one won't work on your engine but both the sealed type and cartridge type were available for it.

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)

Guest Silverghost

My Dad replaced this can-type throw-away filter on his 1953 DeSoto Powermaster Six many years ago & added a cartridge can type of filter assembly.

It's Easy to get those filters.

The throw-away can style you are looking for will be very hard to locate !

If you can find the orignal type...

Buy an entire new case of them !

Edited by Silverghost (see edit history)