correct dash ?

Guest junkyardcar

Guest junkyardcar

I have two 1917 DB touring cars. One has a dash with no glove compartment, the other has a glove compartment. Which is correct? Frame #'s 195730 and 134646. I'm sure this is an easy question for you guys.

Thanks!!

Guest Darracq

Don't know for sure, I'm new to Dodges, but....#134646 is Feb/ March 17, about 2000 cars before mine.

I have no reason to think that my car is not as original. It has a glovebox. With a door and an Eagle Lock Co. lock.

Hope this helps, Dave

Edited by Darracq (see edit history)

Guest junkyardcar

I have the same lock. How did you unlock it? I had to take the box apart to in in it. What does the key look like if your lucky enough to have one.

Thanks for the responce.

hector

I believe the glove box was eliminated during the 1917 mfg year My 17 with number in the 176XXX range had NO box My 1916 HAD a glove box. Exactly when the glove box was eliminated you can find out as some of the old DB club news covered model change years by serial numbers. I have a key for my box. NOT sure if all were keyed alike NO need to take it apart!. I can scan it and post it if you like

bob

Guest Darracq

Here's a photo of my 17 Dodge keys,

The glove box key is 1 1/2" end to end and 3/4" across. The bit that goes into the lock is 7/8" by 1/4"

Does anyone sell spares of these? Is this ignition key a Clum Key?

Dave

post-67327-143138320956_thumb.jpg

Guest doberman

my 17 has the box and it is origanal.145xxx but I have no key and that is the first one that I have seen.My lock is #11 if anyone has a spare I would love to buy it.

A clum key will say just that and all others are copies.

thanks alan

Guest John1918

The 1918 Master Parts catalog gives the car number where the glovebox was dropped as 159101, manufactured about June 3rd 1917. This was also about the same time the Johns Manville 115H black faced speedo was introduced. John

Guest Jack 27

I had no key for the glove box on my '16. I made one by inserting a thin piece of rectsangular lead in the keyhole and repeatedly turning lightly it to see where the notches for the key had to be.

• 2 years later...

daracq, the rectangular key can be duplicated by a locksmith. the other key, while not a clum key, is also not a copy. it was made by king lock company of chicago. king was making these kinds of keys before clum. king was in business between 1913 and 1922. briggs and stratton used king locks in their early switches as did caskey-dupree of marietta, ohio.

Guest 1930
daracq, the rectangular key can be duplicated by a locksmith. the other key, while not a clum key, is also not a copy. it was made by king lock company of chicago. king was making these kinds of keys before clum. king was in business between 1913 and 1922. briggs and stratton used king locks in their early switches as did caskey-dupree of marietta, ohio.

Hello exwiseehe, do you have time to answer a key question not automotive related ?

Guest 1930

Dave here is a post this exwiseehe made on another forum that I thought you would find interesting, I know I did and maybe you can add it too your key thread................There are an awful lot of pot metal locks out there from the 20s and 30s that don't work due to "zinc rot". One of the causes of this was factory workers sweeping up scrap from the floors and dumping it into the vats to be reused. This actually changed the composition of the metal. A type of corrosion that results from the use of improper mixtures of alloying metals is called intergranular corrosion. Small particles of certain metals can create electrochemically active cells in moist environments. This results in swelling and "rotting" of the metal rendering it not only unusable, but unrepairable. It actually disintegrates from within itself.