BENDIX mechanical brake system

Guest GBatty

The BENDIX front brakes on my 1929 Durant RUGBY are adjusted by means of a 'wormscrew' and locknut. One of these has sheared and I am having difficulty locating a spare here in the UK. Anyone know where I can get one either here or in the USA?

Attached are several pages from Bendix 1930's service manaul that indicate the other make autos that used the Durant system incase you have to hunt for replacement parts.

Review the images and confirm if the system shown is the same as yours.

Stude8

post-31139-143138306817_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138306824_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138306829_thumb.jpg

Best bet is to go over to www.durantmotors.org and post the same question on the Durant Automobile Club forum. Since the members have Durant's and are familiar with these brakes they can probably help you out. I know several years ago at one of the national meets in Auburn, Indiana they had a tech session on how to adjust brakes on a Star. I'd start there with any questions about your car and if you get no help then jump back here.

Just to clarify the Bendix pages I posted, the Pg 45 Index lists the applications for the many types of Bendix systems in the prewar period. There are two systems that list the Durant name.

One is the "Bendix three Shoe Lever Control Type" Durant 6 1927-28"

Second is the "Bendix two Shoe Double Anchor Lever Type" Durant 1929-30"

I have the entire manual scanned and only posted the first two pages (Pg 54 & 55) of the 2 shoe system instructions to illustrate what data is available. Once you confirm whether your car has the 2 or 3 shoe system I can post the applicable pages for the correct system.

Since you are in UK it may be considered an "Export" version and that designation could have special components different from USA domestic vehicles.

Stude8

Here are the 3 pages (Pg48;49 & 65) of instructions for the 3 shoe system used by Durant and Studebaker besides a few others according to the Pg45 index top listing. I think the "Worm" screw you mentioned is illustrated on Pg 49.

Stude8

post-31139-143138310595_thumb.jpg

post-31139-1431383106_thumb.jpg

post-31139-143138310605_thumb.jpg