HELP...what do i have...1927 DB Coupe?

Guest 27 coupe

Guest 27 coupe

this car was given to me by my father-n-law but he is not doing well and can not tell me much about the car....it is a 1927 Dodge Brothers coupe....but what else? vin# says D989259 but i cant find this anywhere online!...is it fast four? Help, anything would be helpfull. thank you kind people in advance.....

That number is the engine number. The actual serial number is on the right hand frame rail just above the rear spring shackle on the front spring. From that number we can tell you what the build date is. There was 3 distinct model changes in 1927 with the very latest using the so called "fast four" engine. Many states mistakenly title DB's by the engine number which is approximately 50,000 higher than the serial number, which in many cases makes the year incorrect.

I take it the number you have there is from some paperwork, possibly a title? Does the actual engine in the car have that number on it? (It would be on the left side of the block, between the #1 and #2 cylinders, just under the head.) The "D9" Engine Number is a 1938 Dodge engine built for Export or possibly Canadian built? Help me out here experts...

Guest 27 coupe

WOW....thanks all, and yes my title says that the # is my vin#.....now i will have to redo the title and get it right....i have to do a vin# varification at the local DMV but the #rs are not going to match!!!!

Guest M R Simpers

1927 DB Coupe,

Let me get into this and add my comments....

The number differential between the "car" number and the "motor" numbers during last years of 4 cyl production was higher than 50,000. My 1927 DB series 124 is A897,081 / D971,166 or a difference of 74,085. My car dates to May 4th or 5th, 1927 near the end of the 1927 production year. (The DB company was running July 1st to June 30th for their production years.) There was a 1927 DB advertised in the April/May issue of the "Dodge Brothers Club News" as A909,970 / D984,917 or a difference of 74,947.

If the difference is say 75,000 your "car" number should be around A914,259 and should date to maybe May 19, 1927. If you have no floor board data plate, get out the sand paper and sand lightly about the shackle bolts. The number should pop right out. Let us know what it is.

Where did those additional 25,000 numbers go? Remember, the Dodge Brothers were selling the Graham Brothers these "D" engines. Someone may correct me on this, but I seem to remember hearing that they were selling chassis with motors. Someone, such as Ed Joyce or another Graham Brothers expert, could possibly clarify that point. If the DB's were selling the GB's chassis & motors, I can't imagine that the DB's were using up their DB series of "car" numbers on the Graham Brothers product. I have seen GB motors with these Fast Four "D" motors.

Another thing about the DB series of numbers, they started off with number 1 and when they reached a million cars, they went to A000,000. The same applied to the motor numbers. Yearly, they produced extra motors for replacements, etc. In March 1926 as they changed to the "B" motors, they kept the numerial sequence running on the motors, but changed the "A" to a "B", then "B" to a "C", and then "C" to "D". Then when the "D" motor series reached the 3rd million number, they just dropped the "D" and started numbering the motor 1,000,000. I know of a GB "D" motors out there without the "D" prefix. Did this apply to the 1928 Fast Fours?

Also, in that era there were no such thing as VIN numbers. Florida used motor numbers prior to about 1955. As the years go by and with motor being swapped out (i.e, a 1928 Model "A" with a high numbered 1931 engine), it is a pain in the butt.

Did I get this correct?

M.R. Simpers

Cocoa, FL

1927 DB Cantrell Bodied woodie

M.R. Simpers - an excellent explanation of how "Serial Numbers" relate to "Engine Numbers" on the earlier Dodges!

This brings up one question: Do you know when Dodge shifted over from using engines numbered in sequence with letter prefixes for "millions" (ie: "A" - "B" - "C" - "D" - etc.) to using the model designator (ie: like "D2-00000 for 1936 "D2" models or "D8-00000" for the 1938 "D8" model cars) for numbering the engines in Dodge passenger cars? I would learn something else again today if I can figure that one out!

Thanks! :D

Guest M R Simpers

1936 D2,

I don't know.

E-mail me at msimpers@cfl.rr.com and I will scan pages 22 and 23 of the last issue of the "Dodge Brothers Club News."

These 2 pages address the serial numbers from 1928 through 1938. Looking at these 2 pages just confuse me. Maybe, if I knew more about the DB's of the '30's, I could relate to those numbers. It appears that there were different Serial Numbers between the Detroit and the Windsor plants.

OK?

M.R.

Guest 27 coupe

K....Im lost.....i pick up the car from AZ this coming friday....as soon as i get it to its new home, i will look for the VIN/Serial # and post it back on here for your help....thanks again for your help....you guys seem to be very helpfull...its a nice change from some of the other car clubs ive been in in the past...

M.R. Simpers:

Yea. I am a DBC member and already have that issue. (But thanks for the scanning offer anyway.) I am also confused about some stuff on page 23 (the five "dashed" Model Code listings. What is the "-" for?) and have been in contact with the editor and others about working on clarification on that issue.

Also - everywhere you see dates for the A-910-000 serial numbers for '27's it shows the date "May 1st, 1927". I think that reference should be "June 1st, 1927" in ALL the locations of data in this article for that serial number. Is that right? Or am I not seeing that right?

The only thing concerning my question to you is - that article only talks about "Serial Numbers" and does not relate any info on how "Engine Numbers" play into all this. I was just looking to see if you could "make the jump" from the 20's info to the 30's info and relate more on the way "Engine Numbers" are handled for the later cars.

Thanks for your help!

27 coupe:

Don't be lost! You are in CA - the car is in AZ. ( :rolleyes: )

(Sorry - just had to!) Anyway, if you did not pick up the car yet - GREAT! That gives you an opportunity to make sure the title matches the car before taking possession! While you are there to get the car, just make sure you verify that the listed VIN on the title MATCHES any numbers on the car! It sure sounds like the car is titled by "Engine Number". That is NOT a problem! Like I mentioned, this was a common practice in many States back then. The main thing is that the numbers on the paperwork match the car! Just make sure!

I would also suggest you get a written "Bill of Sale" from that owner as you pick up the car! It would be absolutely cool if that "Bill of Sale" could be notarized by a Notary Public. (You should be able to find one at any bank - maybe the place the owner will be with you for the money transfer?) Being notarized is usually not required though. But having a "Bill of Sale" (showing the "Serial Number" AND the "Engine Number" both on it) with the title will help clear up any problems you may run into back home in CA when trying to title the car.

So - make sure the numbers match and get a "Bill of Sale". You will be glad you did! ;)

Edited by 1936 D2
Sentence structure correction. (see edit history)

Guest M R Simpers

1936 D2 -

I can't help you on pages 22 & 23. Walter P. got hold of the DB company and things changed - big time.

As for the May 1, 1927 date, I noticed this and checked my other source before posting my long winded message of yesterday. The date should be May 21, 1927. I notifed the DB Club editor. As for the 4 cyl motors for 1914 to 1928, just remember that there were more "engines" produced than "cars"; therefore, by the end of the 4 cyl engines the series of numbers for the "engines" totaled about 75,000 more than the "cars". Don't let the letters "A" thru "D" confuse the total count. They kept running with ever increasing numbers but stuck in letter pre-fixes.

Thanks.. M.R.

Guest 27 coupe

Hey all....found the serial # and got the car home......it is a later built car....also got a owner/repair manual that gives detail of the build dates......wow cant wait to get to work.....will post pics as soon as i can....