Help with serial number

Guest danspies

Guest danspies

I am attempting to verify the serial number of a 1915 Dodge Brothers Touring car. My father purchased the car in the late 70s but never restored it.

It has the Eismann magneto ignition, pressurized (air pump) fuel system and cone clutch. The light switch is the six button system and the car has a Style D starter-generator. The valve guides are cast as part of the engine block but the car does not have the "large" hand-hole covers as shown in the very early owner's manual.

I know from several articles in an early copy (December 1983) of the Dodge Brothers Club News where to find the engine or chassis serial number and that the multi-disc clutch began with #63361. Thanks to Dick Perry and Jack Carpenter for their long ago efforts. I know that there is a lot of information in the master parts book and in the Cars & Parts articles from the 70s. Unfortunately I am yet to find these in mom's house. I know that they are in there somewhere......

I need to verify the serial number to generate a title for the estate. Any information regarding serial number changes for the ignition system, fuel system, starter-generator etc would be very helpful in narrowing the serial number range. The serial # is somewhat readable, unfortunately sandpaper rather than a wire brush was used to to try to read it.

Dan?, first you NEED to join the Dodge Brothers club. Recently the club has placed info in the newsletters that you need to verify your car. JBed and others have compiled a running list of changes by serial number AND date. I feel it's the most important thing the club has done to date. Sure has answered a lot of questions for me. Your car sounds to be about the 30,000 serial number with the description you gave. There should be a number on a tag on the passenger side floor and under the seat frame on the passenger's side, stamped into the frame. This one is kind of hard to find, look carefully. How good or bad is the car? It's always good to me to hear of another '15 DB. There's quite a few around, and no two are alike because of the constant changes that were made the first year.

Guest danspies

The floor boards lost their battle ship gray covering and the serial number tag long before we purchased the car. The serial number stamped into the frame is very difficult to read as a welling-meaning friend attempted to "help" by using a hand-grinder to remove the surface rust. The numbers are somewhat legible and my first guess would have been #87685 which would have rolled off of the assembly line in in August of 1916; way too late for the cone clutch, magneto, pressurized fuel system etc. Your idea of 30,000 makes sense as the first digit could actually be a 3, making the serial number #37685.

The car is nearly complete with tons of extra parts...as in 8 magnetos, 2 Style D starter generators, extra transmission with cone clutch, spare speedometers, gauges, extra 6 button light switch, spare dash mounted hand air pump etc.... These parts were "hard" to find 40 years ago, and I have no idea as to how hard they would be to find in today's world. We did a lot of walking at Carlisle, Hershey, Dunkirk and lots of local swap-meets to find this stuff.

The car and parts will be for sale to settle the estate. Dad collected way too many cars, he didn't live long enough to restore them and I doubt that I will make it to the ripe old age of 465; which would be necessary to complete what he started.

Guest danspies

We are in Canton, Ohio. We traveled to Hershey etc. as there were more knowledgable people and parts available at the "National" shows. Live wasn't complete unless you spend a few hours, on an annual basis, talking DB stuff with Mr. Perry. Old Mr. Perry and his son (Dick?) knew more off-of-the-top of their heads than you could find by looking through books for days.

We stopped going to Hershey et al in the late 70s.

Enough of the "old time" Dodge people knew our faces/names and address so that dad received a copy of the December 1983 newletter from someone named White in Hyattsville, MA to let us know that a "club" had been formed.

The 5 DBs (and the other cars) have just sat in the garage for the past 40 years, waiting for something good to happen.

I don't know if it is good or not....but at least now something is happening....

Hi danspies,

Here is an idea for you on recovering your stamped serial number. One of the most important things is to use progressively lighter sanding methods to CAREFULLY polish the area of the number down to the point of being as close to mirror smooth as possible. You will be finishing with 1200 grit at the end of this process. This in itself may help you read the number. If not, the area is then well prepped for the acid etching process used to recover the number.

At this point I would suggest you get a hold of someone at a Local or State Crime Lab where you can get some suggestions and proper procedure for using the acid etching process to recover the actual number from your car.

Also a word of caution. I have a friend, also in Ohio, who has just gone through a 10 month "process" (as required by the county level laws in Ohio for vehicle titling and registrations) with the State Patrol concerning getting a vehicle "inspection" to have it titled. This process was "over the top" when it came to getting the "inspection" done. It should have only taken a few short weeks maximum. The Trooper was much more interested in trying to charge the old car owner with a Felony, than working to properly title his car for ownership in Ohio! I invite you to email me so I can get you in contact with my friend. That way you can hear his story first hand. Maybe you can avoid some of the same problems where you live with your '15 Dodge. :(

Edited by 1936 D2
Spelling typo correction (see edit history)

"Young" Dick Perry is very knowledgeable, his father died a few years ago. There are a few others that come to Hershey that can rattle off info on early DBs too. Not positive what other city/towns are close to you, there is only one DB owner listed from Canton in the Roster and I don't know him. If you PM me I'm sure I can hook you up with someone closeby that will help you. OR come to Hershey, the DB club has one of it's annual meetings on Friday night. There's usually 100 DB owners there. I can think of probably 6 with early knowledge that will be there. And you could look at the '15 in my garage to compare to yours. BTW, you should keep this one. Sounds like it's been around your family long enough that it should stay.

This may help to narrow the S/N down:

S/N 20,000 Eliminate hand holes in block

S/N 34069 Vacuum tank used

S/N 37445 End of 6 button light switch

S/N 63361 Eliminate cone clutch.

Jack Carpenter