!940 Buick engine color?

Guest agriffey

Guest agriffey

I have a '40 Super (248 engine ofcourse) with a gray engine but was originally painted turqoise.

Was Turquise the correct color?

Thanks to all who reply.

1940 all engines were grey. Turquoise from 1942 on all straight 8's (53 might have been the new Buick green). Check your engine number to see if it original 1940 or if it has been switched along the way. There were some black replacement engines supplied to dealers during WW ll. The judging manual on this BCA website has all the info as to colors and engine serial numbers.

Fred

41 Century, 69 Sportwagon, 70 GS455 cvt, 78 Riv LXXV, 84 Riv turbo cvt, 98 Riv beater

6 Crosleys, CDO, Cadillac, Lincoln, Packard, Chrysler, Ambulance, partridge in pear tree...

Guest agriffey

Thanks Fred,

The serial number is the same as the title but the body tag is different. maybe is a later engine.

I will go with grey wwhen I finish the rebuild. Thanks again.

You don't need to check engine number. Dipstick location pre-1940 was at the bottom of the block. 1940-47 was back by the firewall at top of block. 1948-53 had motor mount bosses as part of the block about 1/3 the way back from the front. Simple as that. All engines had black sheet metal painted over with whatever the color of the year was. I do not subscribe to the black WWII engine story. Replacement engines of the 1948-53 style were offered as a complete replacement going back to 1937 in 1949. All you had to do was use the bolt-on motor mount plate off the front of the old engine to use them, but the boss on the side of the block remained to give them away as the later engine.