Mismatched Interior Components

Guest Tom Snyder

Guest Tom Snyder

I have an 89 with the bordeaux interior that I purchased from the original owner. The car has a ginger carpeted storage access door. When I quizzed the owner about this, he said that was how the TC was equipped when he drove it out of the dealership.

Last evening I was looking at BigGar's listing of the 89 yellow/ginger near San Diego. Beautiful car. But, there in the photo of the ginger dash area was a bordeaux leather instrument hood surround.

In reading messages over the years, I have not read anything about mismatched interior components on 'original' TC's.

Question: how many members have encountered this?

This, of course, is not unique to TCs. I still have a 68 LeMans convertible I ordered as a Triple Gold combination from the factory. When I took receipt of the car, it had a single dark green component at the driver's side. The difference was that this car was not a $35k personal luxury vehicle.

I've never seen a mismatched cargo door that could be verified to come to the factory. It seems *highly improbable* to me that it came that way as I have looked at hundreds (thousands maybe;)) of TC's. The instrument cluster cover you described from that immaculate San Diego TC for sale is actually a chocolate brown as are ALL Ginger interior TC's. Personally, I hate that piece:mad: if you have a 'non woodgrain' interior, you also have that same color leather around the radio surround so there is some semblance of continuity. But if it's a woodgrain car, that cluster cover matches NOTHING in the car:confused:. Like I said, I hate that piece. I have been slowly but surely replacing it with the exceedingly rare ginger instrument cover option.:cool:

Alan

Guest george w

That's correct. The instrument hood on the ginger cars is a dark cordovan brown. I have an early build 89 that predates the woodlike tirm found on the later 89 and up cars.

I would swear though that the leather panel surrounding the HVAC and radio was actually black and not dark brown like the hood. I'll have to take a closer look when the car's out of the garage on a sunny day !! The door handle bezels and the armrest bezels surrounding the window switches appear to be black as well.

Guest StudeDude 01

George----You are correct----the early build cars had black surrounds around the radio and on the door panels around the lock switch. The dark brown cluster cover is on its own.

Guest george w

TC's all exhibit minor differences from car to car which is to be expected as there was so much hand work involved with the interior and body. Not only were these cars limited production, they had as much hand craftsmanship in the body and interiors as imported cars many times their price.

What other cars of that era ( or even today ) offered a unique custom designed body not shared with any other model or models, fully leaded body seams and a complete hand stitched full leather interior ? Ferrari, Rolls Royce, Bentley. The Cadillac Allante was probably the closest and that didn't have as nice an interior though it did have a better drivetrain.

Guest Tom Snyder

Wild Bill, thanks for your reply. The last three digits of my VIN are 407. Is there a TC registry being maintained? My TC is still in the shop awaiting completion of replacing motor mounts. I need to go by and check it for the ABS accumulator that Larry Carlson has mentioned and cautioned owners. I am not very mechanically-minded so will rely on advice I received. Thanks again. Tom