1955 Mercury Monterey w/ factory A/C - how rare?

Guest kenj

I'm thinking about getting rid of my '55 merc, as it has sat in my parents garage for 4 years due to other projects. It is the first year for A/C in the Mercury's and I looked for it for a while before finding it. I don't think I will ever restore it or use the A/C in a restoration, thus the moving on.

As I'm trying to sell it, I'm getting feedback that it is rare and I'm wondering if I have it priced right and if I will see one of these again. I guess I'm just looking for folks that have a Merc with factory A/C from this era or some idea of how rare a set-up like this is... I don't want to get rid of it until I'm absolutely sure I will never use it.

Here's some photos -

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_2" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="640"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">wol_error.gif</td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.</td></tr></tbody></table>IMG_0189.jpg

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_1" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="640"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">wol_error.gif</td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.</td></tr></tbody></table>IMG_0185.jpg

IMG_0180.jpg

IMG_0179.jpg

<table id="ncode_imageresizer_warning_3" class="ncode_imageresizer_warning" width="640"><tbody><tr><td class="td1" width="20">wol_error.gif</td><td class="td2">This image has been resized. Click this bar to view the full image. The original image is sized 800x600.</td></tr></tbody></table>IMG_0182.jpg

Thanks,

Ken

Thanks for the stat, WQ. I talked to Joel at Mercuryland today and he said that not only is the A/C rare, but everything under the hood is A/C car specific - from the dipstick to the vacuum lines to the pulley and radiator. Also, the 56 and up are 12v, while the '55s are still 6v. So, that makes some of these parts year specific. What's also weird about this car is that it doesn't have any other power options...

• 2 months later...
Guest fordvic54

I have a 54 Victoria with a NOVI dealer installed a/c. It is a lot more compact than the unit you show. I'm restoring mine with the a/c if I can find any necessary parts I'll need. Anyone with info or vendors for the unit would be helpful. Thanks

• 3 months later...
Guest rsd9699

I would like to see a picture of the a/c compressor or at least find out the brand and the compressor pully is solid or a clutch?

Thanks

Ron

Guest rsd9699

Also I would love to the truck unit with the cover off it - I would think it is a NOVI cousin and is small and the cover hides how small it is and of course all the ugly tubes and junk like the Chrysler air temp units were hidden.

Thanks

Ron

Guest Jim_Edwards
I would like to see a picture of the a/c compressor or at least find out the brand and the compressor pully is solid or a clutch?

Thanks

Ron

The majority of early Ford, Lincoln, and Mercury factory A/C compressors were made by Bendix and were cast iron. Real heavy boogers! Those old Bendix compressors can be easily rebuilt. In the very late 1950s compressors were supplied by York and Tecumseh.

The Bendix Compressors had no clutch and a single grove pulley.

Jim

Guest rsd9699

It makes sense to me that Ford would use Bendix because of their close relationship.

Since York and Tecumseh where 10 cu in displacement compressors - any idea on the displacement of the Bendix or where to find more info on Bendix compressors. I wonder if parts for them are like the Lehigh - non existent.

Ron

Guest Jim_Edwards
It makes sense to me that Ford would use Bendix because of their close relationship.

Since York and Tecumseh where 10 cu in displacement compressors - any idea on the displacement of the Bendix or where to find more info on Bendix compressors. I wonder if parts for them are like the Lehigh - non existent.

Ron

I've taken a look around the WEB and found nothing on parts or rebuild gaskets for Bendix auto air conditioning compressors. Early York compressors, no problem. I'm going to take a wild guess that since Bendix is still heavily in the air compressor business they may have support for their air compressors going back that far and some of the parts probably would interchange. Not a whole lot that could go wrong with one unless the rod bearings gave up and the crank is ruined. Such things as valve springs, gaskets, seals and "O" rings may be universal to any number of other makes.

Sorry, I don't know what it's displacement was.

Jim