New website feature - check it out

Have to aggree with stutz.. especially the dark blue type can be difficult to read on the blue background... but otherwis it looks good.<P>The only other comment I have is that the Assembly Line discussion makes it look like Ford invented the assembly line for automobile production. As I undertsand it (and I may be wrong) Ford improved on the idea using machines, but Olds was the first automobile manufacturer to use an assesmbly line method in building an automobile.<P>If I am wrong, please someone correct me.

Peter, <BR>I like the new addition alot. Thanks!<P>Do you mind if we take Toms noted correction even a little further? Actually, Chevrolet introduced it's first V-8 in 1917, not in 1955 as it states. They used this early V-8 in 1917 and 1918 only. In 1955, Chevrolet re-introduced the V-8.<P>Rick<p>[ 12-28-2001: Message edited by: Rick Hoover ]

Thomas Borchers suggested I add something about Tuckers in "1948". I asked him to come up with a few sentences. Here is what he came up with:<P>Preston Thomas Tucker developed the "car of tomorrow" the Tucker 48, actually known as "Tucker Torpedo". A very modern car with an engine ( a H 6 cylinder modified helicopter engine, 335cui, 166bhp and up to 120 mph fast) in the rear of the car. Disc brakes, safety pop out windows, seat belts and much more things. A great car. But Preston T. Tucker was obstructed by "the big three" in Detroit. He got only very expensive sheet metal and had much more difficulties because he was a danger with such a modern car. At least he was involved in a trial that he had planned to get money and not that he planned to build such a car. He was not guilty because he built 51 Tucker Torpedo. The factory died but not most of the cars. 47 of these great cars still exist. Who is interested in the full story should see the movie "Tucker: The Man and His Dream" by Francis Ford Coppola.<P>Please comment at edit at will. Thanks Tom!<P>Peter

Found a couple of things. <P>Preston Thomas Tucker developed the "car of tomorrow" the Tucker 48, actually known as "Tucker Torpedo". A very modern car with an engine (an H 6 cylinder modified helicopter engine, 335cid, 166bhp and speed of up to 120 mph) in the rear of the car. Disc brakes, safety pop out windows, seat belts and many more things. A superior car for its time. But ?the big three? in Detroit obstructed Preston T. Tucker. He got only very expensive sheet metal and had many more difficulties because he presented a danger with such a modern car. At least he was involved in a trial that he had planned to get money and not that he planned to build such a car. He was not guilty because he built 51 Tucker Torpedos. The factory died but not most of the cars. 47 of these great cars still exist. Whoever is interested in the full story should see the movie "Tucker: The Man and His Dream" by Francis Ford Coppola.<P>Anything else?<P>Yeah, and I found them. blush.gif" border="0 made the changes above. rolleyes.gif" border="0<p>[ 12-29-2001: Message edited by: novaman ]

Guest Skyking

Peter, Great sight.......Interesting production figures in 1955...Big difference to what is going on in this country today..What happened?? confused.gif" border="0frown.gif" border="0

Getting to David Cammack's Tucker museum could help everyone get the facts of these interesting cars correct.<P>For example, there are differences between Tucker's promotion of planned features and the actual prototype car plus the 51 production cars. For example the prototype, called the Tin Goose, had the disc brakes, but none of the 51 production cars had disc brakes because tooling necessary to modify the Kinmont Safe-Stop brakes was not finished in time to install these brakes. Another feature that I thought never existed is an automatic transmission. One of the surviving production cars has a GM hydramatic transmission.

Guest Skyking

It's too bad the Big Three didn't stop the Japanese like they stopped Tucker. Our country would sure be better off today!