Cruise Control Servo

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

Has anyone repaired a 1984 or 1985 Cruise Control Servo? I have had several of them quit working. I have taken them apart and found nothing out of place or broken. Some of them began working after being taken apart, but I have no idea why. Any help will be appreciated. I am running out of good salvaged servos.

I have replaced these one after another on my cars. You can buy a rebuilt unit from Napa. If they can not find it listed under the olds 307 ask them to look for the one for the 5.7 diesel engine. That's the same one. For some reason Napa used to not carry it under our engine just the diesel. How's that for efficiency?

IMO these are remaned using cheap electrical products and the vacuum componets leak easily after a year or so, right after the reman warranty runs out!

Guest jcc3inc

TwoDoorBuickMan,

I have had problems with two cruise controls, one on my 91, and one on my 93 Riv and have repaired them both. I tried to find the pictures I used but have misplaced them. I'd be happy to look over one of your units and comment or repair it if you would send it to me.

You can reach me at jccinc-at-owc-dot-net

Regards,

Jack C.

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

Thanks - I had one that did not work and tested bad. There was nothing to lose, so I took it completely apart. There are electrical components that are easy to test and vacuum components that are not quite so easy. There are some O-Rings and a valve and seat with a plastic seat and a rubber plunger about the size of a pencil eraser. There are 3 coils. One sets and releases the vacuum and is controlled by the on/off switch. One is variable and controls the speed by changing the vacuum. I never did figure out what the other one did. The O-Ring that seals the vacuum chamber is proprietary. It is elongated and about the shape of a large paper clip. I cleaned and greased it, cleaned all the other components, replaced an O-Ring under the variable solenoid and put it back together. It now tests good and I will probably test it on the car the next time I am playing around under the hood.

Guest TwoDoorBuickMan

I installed the Servo on my Car today. The Cruise Control was in good working order, so the Servo would be the only change. It seems to work fine. I don't know how long it may last and worst of all, I have no Idea what was wrong that I may have fixed. It may have been a stuck or dirty component or it may have been the O-Rings.

Guest wildcat465

Now if cleaning these up and getting them working again is the trick, we do have some hope for these.

I think I am going to do the same thing, and see if it works for me.

Thanks, TwoDoor.