Radio/Tape player wiring in a 72 Olds 442

Guest johnahays

Guest johnahays

I am in the process of helping a friend with a restoration of a 1972 Olds 442 convertable. Previous owner(s) cut the wires to a factory 8-Track player. There are seven wires coming out of it. Does anyone have info on where theyconnect or a wiring diagram for the radio and tape deck?:confused::confused::confused:

I believe that in that era there would be common for almost all GM cars.

If my memory is correct, and you have 7 wires, there would be 4 wires for speakers with one pair of the speakers being blue & yellow, another like a light and dark green.

Of the other three one would be 12 volt battery voltage for memory in the radio/clock, another would be ignition normally a pink or pink with a black tracer and finally a ground which would be black.

Hope this helps.

Guest johnahays

Larry, Here is a breakdown of the wires I have--Yellow w/blue stripe, blue w/ black stripe, and black which is grounded to unit combined in a three prong connector-- blue with yellow stripe and yellow (double wire molded together)--dark blue w/white stripe (single) and dark blue w/red stripe (single). I appreciate your help:D John

I hate to say this, but if you're really restoring this car, you had better have a factory Chassis Service Manual for it. The wiring for the radio/tape player is in there, in the chapter on Accessories.

Was the 8 track player factory installed in this car, or is it being added as part of the "restoration"? If the latter, be aware that the 8 track requires the stereo adapter as well as the radio itself. The stereo in these cars used the amplifier in the stock radio to power one channel and a separate amplifier for the second channel. Of course, "stereo" in 1972 meant one speaker in the dash and one in the package tray!

Guest johnahays

Joe, The tape deck is a factory installed option on this car. The original radio was removed by a previous owner and, we assume that was when the wiring was cut. Was there a special radio (other than a stock AM type) installed with the tape deck option? You mention a stereo adaptor-- can find no evidence of another item under the dash and looking inside the tape deck it appears to have it's own amplification system. If anyone out there has a service manual with the stereo wiring diagram it would sure help. I do thank you for your help. John