Vintage CT License Plate Set

Although CT tags from 1937 - 1947 were one basic style, those familiar with these may know there were several variants of these plates due to issues sourcing materials. Rarest of all were the thin gauge aluminum plates produced during the latter part of 1947 only. According to the CT Marker Plate Society they are extremely rare in decent shape due to the partial year production and relative delicate design.

I have a pair for sale that are the best plates out of the entire 37-47 series I have ever come across. Virtually inditinguishable from new, laser straight with 100% of the black baked on painted areas in mint condition. The only way to tell these plates from brand new are small marks where washer or bolt heads were holding them to a car. These came out of an estate in a 1948 plate wrapper, probably indicative of only a few months on a car before they were put away when the new reflective plates came out in '48.

My original intent was to re-tag them with '39 tabs and put them on my '39 Packard but as I think about it I really don't even want to swap out the year tabs. These really belong with a serious plate collector or someone in CT with a 1947 model looking for a really special set of YOM plates they can use on the car.

Offering to forum folks first before Hershey or ocntacting plate guys. I need $175 for these which if you price nice sets that are not a rare variant is pretty fair. These are truly one of a kind, guys. PM me to discuss, or get pictures.

Most likely a CT buyer, we can meet up at any of a few shows between now and Hershey or I will be there as well.

Will be posting a few other items of equal quality over the next week or so guys, in hopes of funding some Hershey purchases!

Thanks, Steve

Thanks Renegade, yes, I still have them. Will take a pic and email it your way, but as said they are as new. Differences between these and the '37 plates are that the aluminum is much thinner, and there is a black border around the plates that the earlier ones do not have. Google "CT Marker Plate History" for some good info on this if interested. You will come to a site that includes a section on the '37-'47 series and a subsection called "variants".

BTW - I work in EH, so if interested we could definately meet up easily.

Thanks, Steve