1941-1942 Chrysler

I haven't had any luck tracking down a frame diagram with dimensions for the 1946-1948 Chrysler - not even in the shop manual.

Knowing pre war 1941-42 cars often have the same exact frame post war 1946-, I am wondering if anyone here has the 1941-42 Shop Manual and can check for the diagram in it for me?

Again, seeking only the "convertible" models frame with the center X brace, not the closed body models.

Any help geatly appreciated!

Eric

• 2 weeks later...

Bumping this back up.

Does anyone have the 1941-1942 Chrysler shop manual? Or the illustrated parts book?

Again, seeking the frame that contains the X member for convertibles for 1941-1942 and assume it carried over to 1946-47 which are not shown in that manual.

Anyone with a New Yorker or Windsor convertible?

Thanks!

What is it you need to know exactly, maybe someone has your answer. Not many people have these really old shop/ parts books. I have a friend who's wife has the book you need the info out of but he has passed on and cannot get at the Chiltons frame book. I have 2 1946-8 New yorker frames/convertibles.

Bob

• 3 weeks later...
Does this diagram and specs, on help, or is this just for regular frames, and not X frames.........Fred

Thanks Fred. Is this from the 1941-1942 manual? If so, is the same as the 1946-1948 one. Odd they don't show the convertible model frame nor mention it in the charts?

What is it you need to know exactly, maybe someone has your answer. Not many people have these really old shop/ parts books. I have a friend who's wife has the book you need the info out of but he has passed on and cannot get at the Chiltons frame book. I have 2 1946-8 New yorker frames/convertibles.

Bob

Trying to establish how the X frame looks for 1941-1952 Chryslers. Have run across one website restoring a 1948 T&C Convertible and it shows a very thin simple X brace but can't exactly establish if this was only for the T&C or all Chrysler convertibles for this time frame? I say that because other Chryslers prior and after seem to have a relatively large rectangular center plate in the middle of the X but not the '48 T&C Conv. And if this style X carried on for all 1941-1952 models or changed up along the way. It is for a project concerning the automobile X frames - for restorers to have a database and know about interchanges as well.

Have been successful with other car manufacturers but Chrysler seems to be a bit of a problem showing Convertible models???

Thanks!

Edited by X-Frame
Spelling :-) (see edit history)

Here is a picture of a 1950 Chrysler hardtop/convertible NewYorker X frame. I'll try to post a pic of a 48 T&C Conv X frame too. 1946-8 are different frames than the 49-52 Conv. frames. The X member section is very Heavy duty in both early and late cars. I know this because I have both styles. Only Chrysler 8 cylinder Hardtops use the convertible frames-No Windsor 6 cyl. hardtops had a convertible frame.

Bob

Here also is the Chrysler 1946-8 Convertible X member frame- also very heavy duty thick steel . 1941-2 similar but different because of trans and WB.

post-62228-143138308774_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143138308777_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143138308781_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143138308785_thumb.jpg

post-62228-143138309039_thumb.jpg

Edited by c49er (see edit history)

c49er... your photos look great! You must have laid on the floor to tale the first one showing almost the full length of the car!

From what you have shown me, the 1950 looks like it is probably representative of 1949-1952 inclusive.

As for the other photos, one says 1946-48 Chrysler 8 while the other says 1948 T&C (Town and Country). Are both the same car? Is the frame (X member) the same for all convertibles from 1941-1948, not just the Town & Country?

Thanks!

Eric

Eric,

The pics of the 1946-8 chrysler are of the same car -my C39 48 T&C 8 cylinder convertible. The X member should be the same for all 41-8 Chryslers- but the wheel base and fluid drive/overdrive/vacamatic models would possibly cause some dimension changes.

A Town and Country convertible uses a standard NewYorker convertible frame too.

The pics were taken with the cars up on the lifts. The N-Yorker is on a high lift.

Bob

The pics were taken with the cars up on the lifts. The N-Yorker is on a high lift.

Bob

Eek... I worked on cars in years past using various types of lifts and when you say "high lift" gives me the creeps since they can be a bit top heavy - or seem to be! be careful! Thanks for the pics and info...

Eric