Steering Column Bushing

W MacDonald

The steering wheel in my 1925 DB wrecker, s/n A-204645, had so much radial play in it that the horn would blow while steering because the steering shaft would move enough to contact the horn collector ring - very embarrassing. Today I took the steering shaft out of the column and found a loose spilt bronze sleeve (.035 thick x 1.575 long x approx the dia of the shaft), two loose washers (1.50 OD x 1.165 ID x .060 thick), and a few chunks of gooey rubber stuck to the inside of the column. The steering shaft is 1.058 diameter and the column ID is 1.548, so something has to make up the difference of a half inch (1/4 inch per side).

The parts book does not seem to identify a bushing for the later type steering (horn button in the middle of the steering wheel). Can anyone out there tell me what kind of bearing belongs at the top of the steering column? Any help would be appreciated.

• 1 month later...

I cant answer your question, but I do have one for you. I have a 1930 DB 1 Ton. Need to remove the steering wheel. It has the horn button with the integrated light switch and distributer advance. I am not sure how the horn button removes to get to the steering wheel nut. Any ideas? Not sure if this will be similar to your truck or not.

Someone posted a section / diagram through a 1929 DA within the last year. I have a 29 and the horn button attaches with a c-shaped wire spring clip. If I remember right I have to take off the light switch at the bottom of the steering column first, push up the rod at the center of the steering column from the bottom and then the spring clip is exposed as the horn button is pushed away from the center of the steering wheel. Don't know if your 1930 is the same way and not 100% sure of this, but you might take a look at it.