Lithographs of 1930's cars by Blazich

Guest naturegirl

I have a set of five matted, framed & engraved plated 1930's cars by an artist named Blazich. Each lithograph is signed & numbered. This set was commissioned by the Delta Plumbing company and given to my father-in-law in appreciation for high sales performance. He resided in Arlington Texas at the time.

The cars are:

1930 Cadillac V-16 Roadster

1934 Packard Le Baron Phaeton

1932 Lincoln HB Coupe

1937 Cord S/C Sportsman

1935 Auburn 854 Speedster

I am looking for others like these and I would like to get a valuation.

Thanks!

post-69351-143138271108_thumb.jpg

post-69351-143138271126_thumb.jpg

post-69351-143138271141_thumb.jpg

post-69351-143138271155_thumb.jpg

post-69351-14313827117_thumb.jpg

post-69351-143138271184_thumb.jpg

post-69351-1431382712_thumb.jpg

Edited by naturegirl (see edit history)

Posting photos would be helpful. I'm not familiar with the artist you mentioned but if you have prints then it may be possible they were purchased by the plumbing company to hang in their offices. Sounds like a limited edition set or perhaps it was something numbered so Delta could keep track of which prints were hanging in which offices. I'm aware of this being common practice as larger companies attempted to standardize their decor. Hard to say if the prints were actually commissioned for Delta or if they were just purchased in quantity. Wonder where the originals are - maybe collecting dust in a closet at the corporate office? Anyway, getting those pictures posted will help tell a lot about their value.

Terry

Guest naturegirl

Thank you and I will post some pictures in a day or two. I did a web search on the artist and came up with nothing...I wonder where the originals are too...these lithographs are nicely presented. According to the brochure these limited edition lithographs were commissioned by Delta and the artist is Richard Blazich...I have heard that they were given to salesmen who made certain quotas. My father-in-law appears to have earned 5 out of 6 unless the other one turns up. I am attaching another view of the same pictures. Thanks for your help!

post-69351-143138271215_thumb.jpg

post-69351-143138271229_thumb.jpg

post-69351-143138271244_thumb.jpg

post-69351-143138271258_thumb.jpg

post-69351-143138271272_thumb.jpg

post-69351-143138271286_thumb.jpg

post-69351-143138271301_thumb.jpg

post-69351-143138271316_thumb.jpg

Edited by naturegirl (see edit history)

They are nice but not sure how you would market them. "Images" (by images Imean quality art including photos/pen and ink, and yours) like this are everywhere for frameable situations.

Old car advertisements are similar in frameable quality and they are plentiful.

I've thrown away a lot of art like yours.

This all sounds discouraging I'm sorry. Value would be, in my opinion only,, $20 apiece high end. $100. So the judgment is: is it worth trying to sell? or keep and frame?

I knwo this, this forum allows access to your best marketplace. I think there are a lot of folks on here that would buy those off you.

The prints are nice but intended as collectible decorative items only. The artist seems to be unknown. I know that a lot of this kind of stuff was marketed to businesses as give-aways or awards. They were most likely not especially commissioned by Delta but were purchased from a commercial "business gift company." I've seen similar sets marketed through gas and oil companies, construction companies, shipping companies, etc. They were numbered only to create a perception of scarcity, hence increased worth. As automotive art, they are not exceptionally well executed and I think BJM has summed it up. I did come across a craigslist ad for a pair of these priced at $25 the pair. In my opinion, based on years of collecting automotive artwork I'd value them at no more than $100 if nicely framed and in mint condition. I note some foxing (staining) on a couple of them, and if it's not a problem with just a dusty lens on your camera, then the value of the prints goes down considerably. Although such damage could be professionally corrected, the cost would outweigh the value. Since they have family connection I'd say the sentimental value probably goes beyond their actual resale value. Keep them, hang them and enjoy them as a family momento. If your research uncovers some additional detail please share with us. Always willing to learn.

Terry

Guest naturegirl

Thank both of you for your honest & expert advice. This is not an area where I have experience at all. You are correct about the foxing as you call it...a couple of them have it although it is hard to tell if it is on the inside of the glass or on the actual lithograph because they are matted and in sealed frames. I haven't pulled them out of the frames to see. In any case it is minimal. Each frame has a gold name plate nailed to the frame.

If you blow up the brochure you will see it stated that the lithographs are limited edition and from original painting commissioned by Delta.

The Cadillac is numbered 879/2000

Phaeton 174/500

Lincoln 523/1500

Cord 420/1000

Auburn 225/250

So, it appears that should be lots of these around somewhere.

I'm like you...I'd love to know where the original paintings are. Richard Blazich is unknown to me and to all of us apparently.

As for me, they are sufficiently nice to display as is. I might take them to a local gallery and have them open the sealed frames & see what can be done.

Thank you very much for the information. I greatly appreciate it!

Prints and Printmaking by LMG is a link to a lot of good info on prints and printmaking as it relates to auto art. Welcome to the wonderful world of collecting. I hope you plan to attend the AACA Hershey Fall meet and spend some time in the swap meet. You'll see lots of auto artwork and gain a nice education on the subject. Seeing and touching the real thing is important. You might even be able to add to your collection there. Let us know if you do plan to attend.

Terry

• 1 month later...

I represented Delta for20 years and hand delivered many of the lithos as rewards for purchases to wholesale accounts. At the time, John Eberhardt, VP of Marketing and Sales of Delta had a complete set of six hanging in his home in Nobelsville, IN and told me that he was instructed to insure the set for $10,000. If you wish, I can send you a fax or pdf of a letter from Barb Smith, Administrative Assistant at Delta to an attorney in Toledo, OH who wanted to buy a matched set from Delta. In the letter (on Delta Faucet letterhead) she explains that the collection is NOT for sale and that Delta commissioned Richard Blazich to paint the artwork. I have the Packard (500 in existence) and the Auburn (750 in existence). The one that you seek to complete the set is the final 1934 Duesenberg Torpedo Phaeton (500 in existence). Lucky you to possess five of the six. They're stunning. If you wish, contact me and I'll do whatever I can to help you. plr214@gmail.com

naturegirl,

See someone with knowledge added some comment and it is a junior member like yourself, coming on for a specific purpose. Thanks to the AACA for offering this free forum so these commentaries can occur.

I would still say that the prints have minimal value - the prints. While many were probably placed in the attic like your Dad's and then tossed years later or thrown out, the scarcity does not equate to higher value.

This is all from viewing the above images. Your comments about the limited nature of the prints helps. These appear to be Delta specific, not an issue such as Terry describes.

Please understand that Terry and I have been to hundreds of swap meets (where old car parts and memorabilia are sold) and antique shops and see thousands of similar prints.

Maybe Delta has a newsletter or email chain where they could be offered.

• 4 months later...
Guest mblazich

My late brother, Dick Blazich, was the artist. Back in the late 60's/early 70's, he was one of the top antique car water colorists in the nation. How he could make chrome look real, I'll never know. I remember him taking me on a road trip to Indiana for a car show when I was a kid and we went to a show in Omro, Wisconsin a couple of times. In the 70's, he decided to switch his artistic talents to photography and I don't recall him picking up a paint brush again.

My family is blessed to have several of his originals and quite a few lithos. At one point, Rank and Son Pontiac (Milwaukee) used to host annual antique car shows. They asked Dick if they could create vinyl placemats of his paintings as giveaways for their customers. Dick didn't license any of his work, so his prints ended up in various places without his knowledge/approval. In fact, after he died, his daughter was at a Dollar Store-type of place and came across drink coasters with a yellow Duesenberg and a "Blazich - 1968" signature. Needless to say, she bought them all!

We divvied up a set of five or six lithos to each of my siblings and Dick's kids. I think I have a box at our lake house that has several more.

Dick is up in heaven with Packer Nation ready to root for the Packers Super Bowl XLV victory tomorrow. GO PACK!