Battery Issues?

Guest reattalove

Guest reattalove

Hello! I have a weird problem -- I put a new battery in my '88 last July. It is a Sears Diehard Gold with over 700 cold cranking amps; I've always had very good luck with those. I have another car that I drive during the winter months, but still start the Reatta and take it for a ride every few days. Back in January, I went to take it out for a ride (it had been about 2 weeks) and the battery was dead. Got a jump start, then had the battery, alternator and starter checked, and all were fine. Now whenever I let the Reatta sit for just a few days and try to start it, it is dead and I have to get a jump. In May 2009, I had a new rear suspension put on the car and it sat for 3 weeks at that time. I never had trouble starting it then and that was with the old battery. So I'm wondering if it is a cable? I also had an air conditioning problem last summer which caused the mechanics to disconnect and re-connect the battery (the old battery) several times. Doing that finally killed my old battery and that's why I had to get a new one. Maybe something happened to the cable(s) from all of that? Thanks for any advice!

Guest Richard D

Have Sears check your battery and they can probably check for current draw with everything off. Should be about 20 Ma. If you have a multimeter you can check it yourself.

Under 50 ma is the spec, mine drew 17 the last time I checked. Best way is to connect ammeter with a jumper wire, let sit with wires in place for a minute or two, then disconnect the jumper and measure. When the Reatta detects a battery is reconnected, several things operate then shut down.

ps 200 ma will kill a battery in 4-5 days.

pps am slowly moving to all Optimas. $135 for a red top at Sam's.

ppps: if sitting I have a little 200 ma float charger connected