Locking Radio- 1933 Buick 90

Guest outlaw car man

Guest outlaw car man

My 1933 90 has a radio installed in it with a key that locks it from being turned on. Assume it's the original that came with the car.

Why did Buick have radios that locked ? Someone going to break into the car and listen to the radio ???

Radio works but no reception yet.

Thanks,

Sandy

post-54015-143138257825_thumb.jpg

I never understood the keyed radio until an old gentleman told me during baseball season he disconnected his radio otherwise he always returned to find well informed fans and a dead battery! Remember in those days there were a lot of open cars around.

Howard Dennis

Guest DaveCorbin

Just for the rest of you guys to TURN GREEN over:

I was in Sandy's garage a few weeks ago. If this isn't the nicest 1933 90 ORIGINAL car in existence, you would have a very hard time convincing me!

The old saying about a picture is worth a thousand words applies in the same way to a picture versus seeing the car live in the flesh for about 2 hours!

On top of all that, it's got a fascinating story about it's start in life: It only involves the US Navy, the Duponts, the original owner and Buick Motor Division itself!

Regards, Dave Corbin

Guest outlaw car man

Thanks Dave, I really enjoy the 90s- You have been very helpful.

Radio: Car has a B-O-P Radio installed which hums but doesn't play-

I took the cover off, it has the tube #s and a installation card dated 6/26/33.

The dates also confirms what Dave said about the date of manufacture in 1933.

OK, problem- How to get the radio working. I turned it on the tubes don't light up. I did notice a small black covered thing, about the size of a condenser, hanging down from I think the Amp gauge and not hooked up to anything. It appears as if it should hooked to the current limit relay switch as a power source-

Anybody know or are there wiring diagrams for the radios out there in Buick world. Sure as hell don't want to do a blind hook-up and cause a nasty problem-

Thanks,

Sandy Jones

• 4 years later...