Finally my dad has his Riviera!

tjthorson

In case any of you were following the story, 3 years ago I set out to find a 1st gen riv for my dad. He had a 65 back in the day, sold it to buy a LeSabre to be more "responsible" when my parents got married and had me. While he is still young enough to enjoy it - I wanted to find him one he could play with. At the time, I found a "parked for 37 years" 1963 that was all original and from the first owner. I bought it - signed him up for the ROA, we went to the Galena, Il meet, etc.... I purchased all the interior parts from Clarks Corvair, in saddle color, and it all still sits in boxes - the seats, foam, package tray, carpet, mats, wood for the console, etc. Long story later, that restoration has not gone fast enough - so I punted on fixing that car and set out to find something running and driving.

After many failed attempts to find a decent first gen that was a nice driver - but not $10,000, I finally found one - and with an owner nice enough to come down on his price enough so I could afford it. So - I made the 17 hour straight round trip drive from Chicago to almost Pennsylvania (eastern Ohio) and brought it home. The more I dig into this car the more I like. It has some "IMO tacky" things that I may change to restore it to original, but overall this car is so clean - it has less rust then the 63 I have. Its a 64, numbers matching (at least the block) 425 with dual quads. White with blue interior. Needs little things like window switches, carpet, springs, etc - but he can start driving it now - and we can fix the little things over the winter. ALl of you that helped me over the years with the other car - I thank you. Now, I just need to sell the other car - and all the parts, both nailheads, etc. If anyone is contemplating a saddle interior redo on a 63 - contact me - I have it all already and will deal on it.

Not so good pics of the car I got....

album.ashx?albummode=Preview&albumpath=%2fvehicles%2ffriends-family+vehicles%2fdads+64+riviera%2fpicture+002.jpg

album.ashx?albummode=Preview&albumpath=%2fvehicles%2ffriends-family+vehicles%2fdads+64+riviera%2fpicture+008.jpg

album.ashx?albummode=Preview&albumpath=%2fvehicles%2ffriends-family+vehicles%2fdads+64+riviera%2fpicture+005.jpg

album.ashx?albummode=Preview&albumpath=%2fvehicles%2ffriends-family+vehicles%2fdads+64+riviera%2fpicture+022.jpg

album.ashx?albummode=Preview&albumpath=%2fvehicles%2ffriends-family+vehicles%2fdads+64+riviera%2fpicture+028.jpg

Todd,

Looks like a very nice 64 and a dual quad car to boot! Very good score and I'm sure your dad will enjoy it! I would consider buying the 63 from you but all my children have either returned home or never left so my driveway is full of daily drivers! My brother and I are heading for Ames tomorrow mornnig thru Friday afternoon in my Black 63, going to try and bring the A/C back to life today! Not looking forward to a hot drive to Ames at the end of July with no A/C in a Black car!

Enjoy the 64!

Tim

Thanks Tim. Sorry about the pictures not working before - my AT&T Uverse was down for 5 days in my neighborhood - and my pictures are served up from a server in my house!!! It was crazy for 5 days with no phone, TV, or internet...

• 2 weeks later...
Todd,

Looks like a very nice 64 and a dual quad car to boot! Very good score and I'm sure your dad will enjoy it! I would consider buying the 63 from you but all my children have either returned home or never left so my driveway is full of daily drivers! My brother and I are heading for Ames tomorrow mornnig thru Friday afternoon in my Black 63, going to try and bring the A/C back to life today! Not looking forward to a hot drive to Ames at the end of July with no A/C in a Black car!

Enjoy the 64!

Tim

Say - Tim, if there is any way you can swing it - I have not gotten a lot of response on the 63 and am practically giving it away now..... I would rather see it go to an ROA member anyway if possible.... I have a few people that seem serious about it - but without trying to be too judgemental - I suspect they are going to "crazy" custom the car... This one is soo original it would be a shame for someone to cut, chop, or add air suspensions, etc. Im in the Chicago suburbs - I have tons of parts to go with it - extra doors (for the windows, guts, chrome, etc - a-arms, spindles, dash clusters, grills, turn signal assemblies, etc. Plus the interior pieces. All the pics along this journey are at:

Vehicle Photo Gallery

navigate to "Old Vehicles" then to "Dads 63 Riviera"

Todd,

I have a couple of cars I need to move first but I would be interested as I'm a sucker for 63's! I tried the link to the photos, but no dice. Could be just a funky internet connection, I'll try later.

Thanks,

Tim

Make sure you use IE, as I am using a Microsoft Server to host the stuff out.

start at - ToddsPlace Home on the Web

venture to vehicle photos, old vehicles, dad's 63 Riviera. Some of those pics were before the interior was disassembled. I almost forgot - I already installed a new heater core as well....