Chandler Valve pins

Guest Classicjerry

Guest Classicjerry

Hello all,

Our next challenge on the 1923 Chummy Sedan is to figure out what material is used for the "Pins" that hold the valve spring keepers in place. The hole in the valve is.165 to .170 and the recess in the spring keepers is just under 7/8". I have heard to use drill stock, but a local engine rebuilder is concerned that the material might be too brittle. Any input on this would be appreciated. We have our pistons and rings ready to be assembled and we are getting the cam and bearings ready to be put back in the crankcase so that we can start to put this motor back together. We were able to get NOS valves from EGGE machine in CA. for our motor. We checked the valve springs today and they ranged from 61-65 #'s at the 2 5/8" compressed dimension vs. a spec of 70#'s. Do any of you see a problem with using these springs? I hope some of you out there have some experience that you can pass along to our group. Thanks, Jerry

I don't have any Chandler experiance, but I see no one is answering you. Early Dodge Brothers had the same type pins for their valve springs. I used "Drill Blanks" for mine several years ago. Drill rod is a soft steel, usually O-1. Drill Blanks are hardened tool steel, got mine from MSC. McMaster-Carr also has them. I've driven my car for maybe 6 years with these and have had no problems.

• 4 weeks later...