Don't want to brag, but...

KDirk

Went to the Gateway Chapter BCA all Buick show at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis held yesterday (June 27). A great group of people for sure, and some incredibly nice cars on hand. I was the first of four Reattae that showed up (Grand Nationals and GNX's were the most heavily represented by my rough count) and had not planned to enter my car for judging (was planning just to show) but was convinced otherwise.

Anyway, much to my surprise, I came out with 1st place in the stock closed-car category. This was my first time taking the car to a show, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I certainly didn't think I would take home a 1st place trophy, so I was quite pleased.

I guess I need to take it out more; I have been hesitant because it isn't quite "done" by my standards. Of course, it probably never will be, since I have impossibly high expectations due to being a perfectionist. It was nice to find out that others thought it was a really nice car, and helped reassure me that the time, money and effort have been worthwhile.

I do have to say that regardless of the trophy, it was a really great time and I met some great people. I'll definitely be attending more shows.

KDirk

Guest Kingsley

Brag man, brag! Congratulations! Anything of note about the other Reattas? Also, what was the presence of Rivieras?

Went to the Gateway Chapter BCA all Buick show at the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis held yesterday (June 27). A great group of people for sure, and some incredibly nice cars on hand. I was the first of four Reattae that showed up (Grand Nationals and GNX's were the most heavily represented by my rough count) and had not planned to enter my car for judging (was planning just to show) but was convinced otherwise.

Anyway, much to my surprise, I came out with 1st place in the stock closed-car category. This was my first time taking the car to a show, so I wasn't sure what to expect. I certainly didn't think I would take home a 1st place trophy, so I was quite pleased.

I guess I need to take it out more; I have been hesitant because it isn't quite "done" by my standards. Of course, it probably never will be, since I have impossibly high expectations due to being a perfectionist. It was nice to find out that others thought it was a really nice car, and helped reassure me that the time, money and effort have been worthwhile.

I do have to say that regardless of the trophy, it was a really great time and I met some great people. I'll definitely be attending more shows.

KDirk

Congrats it is alway fun when your car does well. The place where that show was held is a neat place. I spent quite a bit of time there when I saw they had one of the Chrysler turbine cars. Those are really neat and I can remember when Chrysler did a lottery to select drivers for those cars. I wish I could have driven one way back when.

Kingsley,

The other Reatta's on hand were a 1990 red/tan/tan 'vert with body color moldings, a 1988 Sapphire Blue/blue/black BSM coupe and a 1990 Maui Blue/blue/body color side molding with white top 'vert. This last one was apparently for sale, but I do not know the particulars (asking price, mileage etc). At one point, it was the red 'vert, my car and the blue 88 parked in sequence left to right (red white and blue!). I should have gotten a picture, but the 88 didn't hang around too long so I missed my chance.

Rivi's were in light supply. One 1990, white diamond w/blue leather interior, in pretty nice shape (was a daily driver). The prize Riviera was undoubtedly a 1982 Select 60 convertible, white with a burgundy interior and white top. A very nice restoration, and I spent a lot of time talking to the owner. His car, like mine still has a few minor details that need attention, and he placed 3rd in the stock-convertible class. I thought it was better than a 3rd place car, but a GS convertible took first and I can't remember what took second in that category (I wasn't taking notes).

Best in show was a silver and black 1935 hardtop. my knowledge of 30's Buicks is very limited so I can't say what model/series exactly. This was a really sharp car.

Other notables were the longest car award for a '62 Electra 225 convertible, and a stunning red/black GS convertible that was not entered for judging (show only, but not sure why, this one was best in show material for sure). A couple of original/unrestored 40's era sedans were there. The most unique was a bright red 42 Buick pickup called "Mimi". This was a factory custom job that started out as a 1942 series 90 sedan and later chopped by the factory for the then head of Buick. It was named for his daughter (thus the "Mimi") and wasn't titled until 1948 when it received a 1948 power train, including an auto transmission (first year available). This vehicle was spotless and is a true one of a kind.

The one disappointment was the lack of any cars with the delta-wing rear end. I'd have thought sure at least one would show up at an all Buick show. Despite that, it was well worth it.

Oh, and Booreatta: The museum still has the Chrysler turbine car, though I'm not sure it it presently on display. They have acquired so much that they rotate some items out of the car display area periodically. They also have a lot of train stock squirreled away in an abandoned Missouri Pacific Line tunnel that goes through a rock formation that is on the museum property.

KDirk

Guest Kingsley

Kevin - Thanks - a great rundown and I found it interesting. It is information like this that adds to the value of the Forum.

Guest scottyz06
:D:cool:Congratulations !!!!!!! Ya Won without even try'n !!!!! Sweeeeet !!!!:D<!-- google_ad_section_end -->

Nicely done! Not to steal your thunder, but I too won a trophy this weekend. I took my 1961 Comet to a show on Sunday in Portage WI. I was going to go display only, but changed my mind at the last minute. They didn't have 1st, 2nd,3rd, just 3 "best of class" for each class. I was in the 1958-1965 class. Congratulations.