89 olds cutless ciera

Guest Trapper

Guest Trapper

help, i have had two different shops work on the olds and nobody can fix it. I t starts and runs a min and other times runs 30 min before it dies, its acts like you just turn the key off.

help, i have had two different shops work on the olds and nobody can fix it. I t starts and runs a min and other times runs 30 min before it dies, its acts like you just turn the key off.

It would help to know what engine is in the car, and once the car dies does it restart immediately or do you need to let it sit for a while? Does it run rough just before it dies, or is there no warning? What work has been done on the car recently?

I'll suggest looking at either fuel delivery or electrical problems.

If the car restarts immediately, there may be crud in the gas tank that's being sucked up against the inlet screen on the fuel pump, causing it to die. Once the engine dies, the pump stops and the crud falls back into the tank. Put a fuel pressure gauge on the test port of the fuel injector rail and watch it when the engine dies. If pressure drops just before it dies, fuel delivery is the problem.

If the car won't restart until after it has cooled off for a while, then the problem is almost certainly an electrical module. Most likely is the ignition module. This is temperature sensitive AND it won't set an error code in the computer when it fails. Unfortunately, most "mechanics" today are simply parts replacers. They look for the stored code and follow the cookbook to replace the appropriate part. A problem that doesn't set a code will stump them, since they've never learned basic troubleshooting.

If you suspect the problem is the ignition module, when it dies and won't restart, check for spark by removing a plug wire from a plug and holding the contact near an engine ground (about 1/8" away). Wear rubber gloves to prevent shock. Have a helper crank the engine. If there is no spark, that's the problem.

Of course there could be an infinite number of other possible causes, but these are two of the most probable.

• 2 months later...
Guest Trapper

engine is a 3.3 v6. has died when cold. does dont bring up a code when diagnostic is in. stereo has been installed all wirde correctly. no warning of engine just dies all electrical stays on just kills. sometimes have to wait a while, sometimes starts right back up.

Guest Trapper

Have you looked at my old fenders, hoods, dors etc I have posted to see if you know what they are? Please I need help! Thanks...

I will check the sensors on Olds...Thanks