1955 Buick engine metal on metal noise

Guest 55 Special

Guest 55 Special

I went to start up my 55 Special and it starting making this metal on metal noise. It will still go into gear and drive (obvisouly just went back in the garage), but continues to sound horrific. All fluids are up, and starts fine. My dad thought it may be the torque converter- any thoughts? Thanks in advance for the help

Guest martylum

Hi-your story brings bck memories of my first car-a well used 55 Buick convertible. After a short driving time a screech came from the engine compartment soon as the engine was started.

Turned out to be carbon filled rocker tubes in the engine's valve covers. Many miles of driving with not much attention to oil changes, etc and the tendency of oil in those days to form carbon on engine parts probably were the causes.. I removed both rocker assemblies and cleaned them out and reinstalled and enjoyed 10,000 more miles of driving with no more screech.

Sold the car a year later after i bought a new 63 Pontiac. After a short amount of driving the new car, I thought about selling the Tempest and keeping the Buick but went on to drive the Tempest for 90,000+ miles and learned to enjoy a lighter car. Should have kept the California Buick but at the time it was just a used car with little value-sold it for $300-the amount I paid for it a year earlier in 1962.

Martin Lum

current owner of 2 63 Tempests and a 56 Buick

Guest sledhead

I have a 1956 with a 322 1 lifter unloads after being parked for a week. I am going to relace it. the engine has 500 on a overhaul with new lifters. Does your noise sound like it's from the top ,bottom or in the front or rear of the engine?

Guest Corvette Bill

I have seen the flex plates (flywheel) that the tourqe converter bolts to crack right around where it bolts to the rear of the crankshaft that makes a lot of noise at an idle.

you can check by removing the tourqe converter dust sheild and spinning the flex plate back and forth it should have no movement.

Bill

• 1 month later...
Guest 55 Special

I appreciate all the input- it ended up being the starter partially engaged. Pulled the started and had the solenoid replaced- all good and back to running fine.:)