1930 Chrysler CJ

I'm looking for an oil pump drive gear for a 1930 chrysler CJ engine. The engine has a timing gear rather than a timing chain which changes the rotation of the camshaft and thus also the pitch (angle) of the oil pump gear. That would make it not interchangeable with the timing chain driven lhead 6 cylinder engines. Anyone have a spare one or a source for a new one?

Guest martylum

Hi-according to the Chrysler parts book this drive gear is shared with quite a few other Chrysler engines from the 27-28 Model 62 up through the 31-32 CO. The part # is 40296. The parts blowup suggests the gear is attached to the oil pump. Might be easier to look for an oil pump of the late 20s early 30s Chrysler period. Your CK should have the same drive gear. Try Parts Voice .com with the part #.

1930 CK roadster owner Martin Lum

Hi Marty

I have 2 oil pumps, one from a 1931CM engine and 1 from a 1930CK engine. They are both the same but do not work with a CJ camshaft. The CJ has a timing gear, and to compensate for the rotation, the screw gear on the camshaft is at 90 degrees to make the oil pump and distributor turn clockwise. I have ordered a early Chrysler interchange manual to see if I can find the answer. I noticed that Egge machine in CA does not list a timing chain for that particular engine, but 2 timing gears, so I guess it must be a factory original.

Rick VanOene

I have sorted out the problem. The part# for the oil pump drive gear (40296) is the gear that drives the oil in the pump. That is not the part # that describes the oil pump / distributor drive gear. That gear for many Chrysler / Desoto engines is part #40883. For the 1930 DeSoto 6 used in the 1930 Fargo 6 panel truck and the Chrysler CJ 6 engine, that gear is reversed and is part# 51291. I actually found a new one on ebay!

Thanks for your help

Rick VanOene 1930 DeSoto CK 6 wheel rumbleseat coupe owner (Canadian made)