1956 super 88 Kickdown

Guest jayndar

Guest jayndar

I've got a 56 Super 88 with the Jetaway transmission(has park)

I've adjusted all the linkages as per the shop manual, and it feels like it's shifting well, but it just won't kick down!!

I have to manually shift down if I'm going up a hill.

I'm thinking I'm missing a spring on my carb linkage because there's a hole that looks like it would hold a spring...I just don't know if it that would cause the problem or not.

Can anyone give me some insight as to what controls the kick down on this car?

Perhaps a picture of the factory carb linkage?

Guest pete324rock

I have a 56 with hydra-matic and it has a separate rod to control shifting and I expect that when you floor the pedal,this rod allows for sudden down-shifting.It should be the same for yours......make sure it is travelling the full extent. Still problems...let me know and I have references.

Guest jayndar

I adjusted the rod that goes down to the Trans, as well as the one to the carb.

The shop manual said to adjust it so that the pivot was all the way back to it's stop and then the linkage to the carb should just fit. I did that and it shifts ok (it didn't before) It just won't kickdown.

Here's a picture of my linkage with an arrow drawn to where I think somethings missing.

picture.php?albumid=457&pictureid=2786

Guest pete324rock

yes you are missing a spring there...fairly heavy one,as I see in my manual. As for the kickdown lever...if it were unhooked,you could move it without resisitance until you push it hard one way and there is a detent spring on the detent valve that is in the tranny...that is what needs to happen for a forced downshift. Perhaps the missing spring is part of this problem. If you get really stuck,I can possibly take pics of my manual...let me know.

Guest jayndar

Thanks Pete.

where does the missing spring go? If you've got pics I'd love to see them!

I'll check on the downshift rod. I know if I push it all the way down it hits a stop and doesn't do anything. I'll try pulling up on it and seeing if I feel the detent.

You're in Moncton I see. My car is headed there in July!

Guest jayndar

It was just pointed out to me that page 3-84 in the 56 shop manual shows a pic of the downshift lever and my missing spring. I have no idea where the other end of that spring attaches though.

Guest pete324rock

you have the same manual as me then. That is cool that you are coming all the way to Moncton...thats a long haul. They are paving the street for the event....10 years I believe. I will try to get some more info for you hopefully tomorrow on the spring....getting close to dark here...

Guest pete324rock

Lets see if these pics work...

It has been awhile since I took all of this apart and it does need attention,but to your issue....it seems that the action regarding the spring would make no difference it the ability to kick down because to press the accelerator fully should pull the arm(shown in my hand) to the end of its travel and further where there is considerable spring resisitance(from the tranny). The missing spring,I believe,has been chosen to be less tension than this so that if you "floor it" without meaning to shift down,this spring and its sliding mechanism will give relief,until you really put the "boot in 'er". You will/may need this spring to prevent too many forced downshifts. Why you cannot get a forced downshift has to be the adjustment of the rod....after the end of its free travel,theres more.Unhook,as I have done and try it...it won't break,and pull towards the front of the engine.

post-31843-143138216587_thumb.jpg

post-31843-14313821659_thumb.jpg

post-31843-143138216592_thumb.jpg

Edited by pete324rock (see edit history)

Guest jayndar

Thanks a bunch Pete!

I can see where that spring goes and like you I think it's to prevent unwanted downshifting at part throttle.

I'll have to monkey with that linkage some more I guess. I got it to where it shifts well.

When I shorten the rod to the carb that you're holding, my shifts get sloppy and still no kickdown.

When I first started adjusting linkage, the rod down to the tranny was loose at the tranny. I pushed it down and with little resistance it kept going until the bracket it hooks to was sticking straight down and visible underneath the car.

I tightened it back up, but maybe it's not in the right spot to pull that rod up enough to engage the downshift.

At least now I'm back on the right track and am a lot less frustrated!

Thanks!

Guest pete324rock

To be working the very best,there should be no"slop" in the linkage,and I recall another guy having shifting problems who had just to many variables. It takes patience but set some time to measure everything and correct it. good luck I still can't believe you are driving all the way from B.C. for the car show here...were you serious?

Guest jayndar

I'm going to spend a whole day alone with that linkage and get it right.

I'm not sure if the car will be ready in time for the show, but I've got lots of family in New Brunswick to visit.

Truth be told, the plan for this car all along was to ship it via train to Moncton, hopefully make the show, and give the car to my folks as it's their 50th anniversary this summer.

If I don't get it together in time for the show, the car will still be out there.

• 1 month later...
Guest pete324rock

Just wondering how things are coming along with regards to attending the car show.They are tooting it as Canadas largest.

Guest jayndar

I'm not going to make it in time for the show. The car gets shipped out this Friday, but it turns out I've got work to do out here that I can't get away for.

Sad to miss it, but I was there for one day of it last year.

I'll be flying in on the 22nd to pick up the car and deliver for my parents 50th anniversary. It's a complete surprise to them.

Still no kickdown by the way. I checked the linkage on the tranny for my 56 Cadillac that's sitting on my floor in my shop. There is a definite spot on the linkage where it hits a stop, and you can pull up a little more. When you let go it springs back.

On my Olds, there's no stop and no spring feeling. It just slops around freely.

I'm guessing someone had it apart and didn't put it together properly.

Guest pete324rock

Valve body? Too bad you will miss the show.Already there are cars milling around early. What color Olds so I will know it if I see it around?

Guest jayndar

the car is red and white. It's an easy one to spot because the two tone is wrong for this year. The the hood and upper front is white the roof and lower is red. I've seen 55's where the roof matched the trunk not the hood. I've never seen a 56 that way. (it was like that when I got it!)

Know any good transmission shops out that way that know their way around these Jetaway units?

Guest pete324rock

wow that should be easy to spot.Mine is red and white but in the reverse order. I have a buddy that runs a tranny shop but is too young to know anything about that year as I have quizzed him about his knowledge,but probably one of the oldest shops is on the road to my place and is "Northrups Transmission", and I have seen the odd oldie getting work there. I will check my manual to verify about the lever and spring issue,because mine is the earlier hydro matic and may be different...Are you at all sure that the tranny was taken apart before? It isn't something that is the first thing to get tackled usually. I'll get back to you.

Guest jayndar

I'm pretty sure the Transmission has been out, not sure if it's been opened. It's painted the same incorrect alpine green that the engine was painted.

Thanks for the help!

Guest pete324rock

engine and tranny should be green.Not sure about the "alpine" part and have to double check on the tranny but almost sure it is green too,unless jetaway had a different color scheme which seems unlikely.Anyways,the engine color is like a picnic table green perhaps,but the correct color can be ordered-I use bill hirsch engine enamels as they are bullet proof tough and last for evermore.I am going to post some pics but not sure if anything will be helpful,but if you have more you want to see on a topic,let me know.At the very least,I can provide this manual to your folks or perhaps Northrups if they decide to take it there.I know Larry Lewis that has worked there a fairly long time(since the early 80's I think) but you will be hard pressed to find any of the old guys left that were around in those old days.

post-31843-143138242239_thumb.jpg

post-31843-143138242241_thumb.jpg

post-31843-143138242244_thumb.jpg

post-31843-143138242246_thumb.jpg

post-31843-143138242248_thumb.jpg

post-31843-14313824225_thumb.jpg

post-31843-143138242252_thumb.jpg

Guest jayndar

In the first picture, the throttle lever "G" looks nothing like mine. Mine looks like a piece of flat stock with holes drilled along it. Also although my Rod "A" looks the same, I could not make it short enough to adjust the linkage correctly. I made my own rod.

Somethings not quite right. Too many years of people jerry rigging things.

I've researched the correct green and it's fairly dark. Somewhere near John Deere green I suppose.

This one is a Detroit diesel color. I've seen cans of duplicolor Alpine green and I'm sure that's what mine is. It's a very light green. here it is :

Detroit Diesel Alpine Green Engine Enamel Paints - DE 1618 - Detroit Diesel Alpine Green Paint, Detroit Diesel Alpine Green Color, Dupli-Color Engine Paint, 5B9E68 - Art-Paints.com

Guest pete324rock

This is where you can get the proper color.They have a guy in Canada in case they won't ship to you. I haven't had any problems.

ENGINE ENAMEL-Hirsch Automotive Products

I couldn't believe how hard it was to find an engine with the right color on the internet.I used to have a lot of pics on the old computer(that died).

Auto Gallery Museum

In searching,I found this motor tranny combo for sale in your locale. Might have some info...

324 Olds engine and hydramatic trans - Vancouver Engine, Engine Parts For Sale - Kijiji Vancouver

Are you sure what tranny is in it?

Edited by pete324rock (see edit history)

Guest jayndar

I've seen your praises of the Bill Hirsch paint before. That's the stuff I'll use.

I'm sure of what tranny is in the car. It's the same as my 56 Cadillac. 4 speeds, has the park position and is heavy as a tank!

Guest pete324rock

All in all,their need to "kick 'er down" in high gear will probably be limited,unless they are sportier than most. As for the color,I immediately recognize wrong engine color as a general first stop in lack of proper detail and expect the trail not to end there. Those who know,know right away. Rocket valve cover decals can be bought but I painstakingly painted mine. A stencil has been for sale on ebay also I believe.

If you need any help or advice,let me know,happy to help if possible.

Guest jayndar

After driving this car around the last few weeks, I've noticed many times when it's in high gear and should kick down. Like for instance cruising around town and going up a hill.

Somewhere around 30mph I'm already in high gear. At that speed even the slightest hill causes the engine to lug.

I wish I would have had more time to correct all the wrongs of this car. 54 years of people tinkering takes it's toll. I'm sure my dad will take his time and make it right.

I spent my time with the car making it safe to drive and be reliable. All new hoses, belts, wires, fluids, carb rebuild, balancer rebuild, new pitman seal, tires and a ton of other things.

I'm hoping my parents will enjoy the car this summer and then start work on it in the fall.

Thanks for all the help. It's been much appreciated.

• 2 months later...
Guest jayndar

I just wanted to say thanks for all the help Pete.

The car made it out to Moncton and is now in the hands of my parents (who are treating it like a grandchild:D

They've been enjoying cruising it in and plan a body restoration this winter.

Hopefully I can still pick your brain when we run into more questions.

If you're interested, here's a video I made about the event:

Thanks again!

Jay

• 2 weeks later...
After driving this car around the last few weeks, I've noticed many times when it's in high gear and should kick down. Like for instance cruising around town and going up a hill.

Somewhere around 30mph I'm already in high gear. At that speed even the slightest hill causes the engine to lug.

I wish I would have had more time to correct all the wrongs of this car. 54 years of people tinkering takes it's toll. I'm sure my dad will take his time and make it right.

I spent my time with the car making it safe to drive and be reliable. All new hoses, belts, wires, fluids, carb rebuild, balancer rebuild, new pitman seal, tires and a ton of other things.

I'm hoping my parents will enjoy the car this summer and then start work on it in the fall.

Thanks for all the help. It's been much appreciated.

Sounds like the Throttle valve inside the transmission is not correctly connected to the outside lever, or the valve is not working. It should shift at higher speeds than you mentioned. If the linkage outside is doing anything then it should be shifting at various speeds with various throttle positions.

Guest pete324rock
I just wanted to say thanks for all the help Pete.

The car made it out to Moncton and is now in the hands of my parents (who are treating it like a grandchild:D

They've been enjoying cruising it in and plan a body restoration this winter.

Hopefully I can still pick your brain when we run into more questions.

If you're interested, here's a video I made about the event:

Thanks again!

Jay

I watched the whole thing! Your parents must have helped you along the way to deserve such a great gift. They are quite lucky indeed. Sadly my motor said goodbye to half my pistons after a ring job with complications. I am looking for some oversized pistons if anyone is listening. Anyways,good job on the car!

Guest jayndar
Sadly my motor said goodbye to half my pistons after a ring job with complications. I am looking for some oversized pistons if anyone is listening. Anyways,good job on the car!

Oh ! :eek: That sounds like a nightmare!

I'll keep my eye out for some pistons. If I run across any for a good deal I'll send you a message.