1953 Roadmaster, where is the fuel filter?

Guest junkyardslug

Guest junkyardslug

I can't find it to save the life of me, as best I can tell the steel line goes from the gas tank to the pump and then a 2nd steel line goes straight into the carb. Am I missing something?

I've rejuved a car that has sat for 35 years, got it running, but I really want to get the filter checked and replaced before I gum up the carb needle seats.

Thanks all

JYS

I'm pretty sure 53 and 54's are the same and if so it is a little pancake filter located on the back of the carb. Just a little screen filter. Can be taken off and washed and blown out.

Be careful with those 322's that have been sitting for awhile. Those valves love to stick, even after getting it running.

Edited by MrEarl (see edit history)

Be careful with those 322's that have been sitting for awhile. Those valves love to stick, even after getting it running.

...yea and even the bottoms too. :rolleyes:

Also if I could recommend, rebuild you fuel pump. Mine was working fine..or so I thought until I saw this:

4538548385_886a8736b1_b.jpg

It was cheap to do and took very little time and know how.

Edited by stealthbob (see edit history)

Guest Teamsterdug

JYS,

I used to have a '53 Special (last year and model for the Buick straight 8's) which was all original and had the Moraine gas filter mounted directly to the back side of the Stromberg carb. I don't know if the V-8's found in all other models for 1953 would have used this same filter. Perhaps. I did a quick search on Ebay and found an example for you to look at. 37-46-50 FORD~CHEVY~PLY. MORAINE FUEL FILTER. VERY RARE : eBay Motors (item 320523435275 end time May-03-10 17:00:00 PDT)